Even the Axe FX tuner is brilliant!

GazzaBloom

Inspired
Had my Axe for a few months now and have found myself defaulting to using the built in tuner over my stand alone Korg tuner and clip on head stock tuner. I love the rotating strobe wheel and just it find that it is so easy and accurate to tune with. Sometimes it's the little details that really remind you of how classy a product is.

Have to agree. I never paid much attention to my Ultra tuner but when I got my XL and heard you could do offset tuning I checked it out and you are right. It is absolutely awesome and very stable.

I've had the Turbo Tuner and other pedal board mounted ones that were highly regarded, but really in the end, the Axe one does the job just as well, and its certainly easier implemented into the rig since its internal.

I do use the Peterson iPhone app tuner (simply amazing for $10) for doing intonation and the like, but all and all, the Axe tuner just plain works. Its accurate, always there at the press of a button/switch and even pretty easy to see at a distance from the rack.

Speaking of the tuner, last night my tuner wasn't working - it showed every note as being off by somewhere between a half and a whole step. I went into the tuner settings and there were no non-default settings (which makes sense, as I've never changed those settings). I used the tuner fairly recently with no problems, the only settings changes I can think of that I made in the unit was setting it up for reamping via AES. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but I also tried switching it back, and it didn't seem to fix it.

Has anyone else every experienced anything like this or have any idea of a setting that may be causing this (other than the obvious tuner offset, which I checked)?

Speaking of the tuner, last night my tuner wasn't working - it showed every note as being off by somewhere between a half and a whole step. I went into the tuner settings and there were no non-default settings (which makes sense, as I've never changed those settings). I used the tuner fairly recently with no problems, the only settings changes I can think of that I made in the unit was setting it up for reamping via AES. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but I also tried switching it back, and it didn't seem to fix it.

Has anyone else every experienced anything like this or have any idea of a setting that may be causing this (other than the obvious tuner offset, which I checked)?

Wrong input clock rate can cause this. Make sure the connected interface is set to 48 KHz, not 44.1 KHz.

I love the "8-ball" strobe tuner. I almost trust it enough to intonate with. Thanks for all the hard work on that and everything else, Cliff.

Another nice thing about the Axe tuner is that it has no problem tuning the low B string on a 5 string bass just playing the open string. With my stand-alone tuner I always had to play the harmonic at the 12th fret instead.

I like the tuner too! It's accurate. The more you use it, you "develop a touch" for it. It's obviously slower on the MFC-101 display than on the Axe Fx's but nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
No to take anything away from the Axe tuner, but seriously give the Strobosoft tuner app a try for intonation work. App is like $10 (add on for sweetening tuning and such) and works best for electrics with the tip, ring, ring, sleeve to 1/4th cable they make, about $10, but its so super accurate and stable. Works even better than my Stroboflip tuner and even easier to view on the iphone/ipad display. I seriously love the thing and have an old iPad setting on the work bench which basically I use just for running the tuner app

I agree. I have a KORG Pitch Black Pro Rack Tuner in my rack, but I'm not sure I need it. I might replace that space with something else, possibly a Rack Decimator Noise Reduction unit.

I, too, have always loved the 8-ball tuner. That interface truly aligns with my brain. Even though many have said this, Thanks Cliff!

Lee

I like the tuner too! It's accurate. The more you use it, you "develop a touch" for it. It's obviously slower on the MFC-101 display than on the Axe Fx's but nothing to complain about.
Actually that is a complaint and only thing I don't like about tuner with regards to the mfc101. Other than that I love.

When I first bought my axe fx II I didn't really expect to use the tuner much at all, because I have a strobe tuner .. now a couple of years later I have not used my strobe tuner more than once or twice since I bought the axe fx .. I didn't expect it to be so good ..

now I am wiser, I know that everything from FAS is stellar .. leaves everyone else in the dust .. :)

in short .. I love it!

:)

Back
Top Bottom