EV SRO Pro 150W speakers (+ other free gear I received)

bchulse

Inspired
Just got some free gear from a friend who was cleaning house.

Fender Bassman & Dual Showman heads (all original Silver face).
Vox Buckingham head & matching 2x12 Cab (with tea cart stand)
Lab Series L5 (2x12)

Also, oversize Fender 2x12 Cab. Took back off to have a look (had a ton of screws).
Found 2 EV SRO/12 Coffee can Speakers rated at 150W. This cab weighs a ton.
It also has the Fender tilt back legs.

I've been using EV 12L's for years, but I've never seen these before. Anyone have any
experience with these? I'm going to try this out and see what it sounds like (if they work!).

Might be an interesting Cab to create an IR from..

Edit:
I forgot to mention, I also got a Mesa Boogie Mark III Blue Stripe 1x12 Combo in excellent condition
from the same batch. That was a nice score!

Last edited:
That L5 is supposed to be a pretty cool amp. Ty Tabor used one of those for the first few King's X albums and got some really interesting tones.

I had one back in the day. One of the amps I regret selling. The one
I was given is in the shop for repairs now. I read that Dan Pearce had a
hand in designing them. He later started Pearce amp company.

I still have a Pearce G1 1x12 Combo with 1x12 Ext Cab. The only other
SS guitar amp I've had.

You're a lucky guy! Please find some time to work out those SRO's and report back. My favorite speaker is the 12L and I've been curious as to what the difference is

Showmans are fantastic amps.

SRO’s are an acquired taste. Big and bold and powerful.

If I'm not mistaken those are alnico speakers. Some people love them. I have a WGS Blackhawk HP alnico which is supposedly a takeoff of the SRO.
I love the HP. Really has a lively vibe and a very cool low-mid vibe going.
I'm jealous.

They are BOTH hernia factories and will handle whatever power you care to give them. Tough to comment on worn/older ones as many of the ‘80’s Ls (popular as a lo-mid driver in big-ass 3 and 4 way PA systems) have been reconed. If hi-gain is your forte you can’t go wrong with SRO’s or L’s, but their stock tonality is def. different with the SRO a little “bite-ier” to my ears. IIC+ EQ’d into an L is the quintessential 80’s LA Sound.

Wow, very nice! Silverface Bassman and Showmans are great amps. That's a serious score!

Those coffee can SROs are pretty unobtainium these days- and they're great speakers. I played a friends, but never owned one myself- he had his with a 12L in the heaviest freaking 2x12 I've ever seen, and it sounded incredible. Added a little depth and character to the 12L. It was a nice combo.

Just got some free gear from a friend who was cleaning house.

Fender Bassman & Dual Showman heads (all original Silver face).
Vox Buckingham head & matching 2x12 Cab (with tea cart stand)
Lab Series L5 (2x12)

Also, oversize Fender 2x12 Cab. Took back off to have a look (had a ton of screws).
Found 2 EV SRO/12 Coffee can Speakers rated at 150W. This cab weighs a ton.
It also has the Fender tilt back legs.

I've been using EV 12L's for years, but I've never seen these before. Anyone have any
experience with these? I'm going to try this out and see what it sounds like (if they work!).

Might be an interesting Cab to create an IR from..
If you live close to me, please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom