EV PXM 12MP Comparision Review with Pics

For what use case? Didn’t you buy one? Try out the different positions and see for yourself. The sound comes from different directions, which can be good or bad depending on the use case. EQ can help make up a lot of the tonal differences between different positions, boundary proximities, etc.
I did buy the speaker, and I am very happy with it. Just wondering whether most people who play at home (at least that is what I am currently doing, I hope to gig again in the future) do, floor or tripod. Anyway, I think I decided to leave it on the floor as it is working fine there, just taking up a bit more floor space than I had planned.

I've got mine up on short tripods at home, but I actually have only used one of them at a show on the floor as a wedge. I haven't had them long enough to tryout all the possibilities yet though so I can't give a solid judgement, but they work well for me in either orientation.

I've got mine up on short tripods at home, but I actually have only used one of them at a show on the floor as a wedge. I haven't had them long enough to tryout all the possibilities yet though so I can't give a solid judgement, but they work well for me in either orientation.
Thanks, I agree that it would likely work well either way. For now I am happy with the wedge on the floor. Such an improvement over my old studio monitors.

I’ve been comparing the EV alongside a QSC K8.2 for the past few weeks. At first I liked the EV better as I wasn’t getting enough volume out of the QSC, until I changed the output level on my FM3 to +4db, per Austin Buddy’s Live Gold instructions. That made a huge difference with the QSC and I now prefer it, although I really like the form factor of the EV better and on cleans I think it sounds great. I’ve noticed with the EV kind of a strange woof sound with higher gain amps, like some of the Marshalls and Friedmans. I’m guessing this might be the cabinet resonance issue mentioned earlier in this thread? But I’m curious as to how others are setting up output levels and also the master volume and input levels on the EV. I have my master volume at about -10db or so and the input knob at center. The output on the FM3 is nearly dimed. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I have a pair of these coming soon and I hope I like them. I have 4 Atomic CLR's now I'm using. I've had the Friedmans which were good but to me, too scooped. I have a set of QSC k12's that sound bad to me. I have a couple Headrush 108's that also sound bad to me. I'm hoping when the
EV's get here that I will like them.

I’ve been comparing the EV alongside a QSC K8.2 for the past few weeks. At first I liked the EV better as I wasn’t getting enough volume out of the QSC, until I changed the output level on my FM3 to +4db, per Austin Buddy’s Live Gold instructions. That made a huge difference with the QSC and I now prefer it, although I really like the form factor of the EV better and on cleans I think it sounds great. I’ve noticed with the EV kind of a strange woof sound with higher gain amps, like some of the Marshalls and Friedmans. I’m guessing this might be the cabinet resonance issue mentioned earlier in this thread? But I’m curious as to how others are setting up output levels and also the master volume and input levels on the EV. I have my master volume at about -10db or so and the input knob at center. The output on the FM3 is nearly dimed. Any thoughts/suggestions?
What DSP setting are you using on the EVs? How are they setup position-wise? Wedge, pole, upright?

Also you're comparing 8" to 12" speakers and I'm betting the EVs may be a truer representation...

It’s probably resonance. I don’t get that woofy sound with mine, but I don’t use a lot of low end. You might want to play around with the crossover setting (high pass filter) or the preset on the PXM to pull out some bass. If you want a ton of tight low low end, then you might have to mod it like mentioned in the previous post. Personally, I like that the low end breathes. Feels more like playing a nice old vintage Fender pine cab.

-Aaron

I’ve noticed with the EV kind of a strange woof sound with higher gain amps, like some of the Marshalls and Friedmans. I’m guessing this might be the cabinet resonance issue mentioned earlier in this thread?
Have you made any changes to the Amp EQ? Are you making boosts in the preamp? Share a preset that is having the problem as there are SO many things that would affect the sound.

In general I make some changes to the Amp just like I would if I had a real amp in front of me, using bass, mid and treble, then I’ll adjust the Cab to roll off extreme lows and highs, as is common.

I make a small global GEQ adjustment for the low end of the Out 1 using the global EQ to allow for the low-end response of the FRFRs on the stage itself if it resonates.
But I’m curious as to how others are setting up output levels and also the master volume and input levels on the EV. I have my master volume at about -10db or so and the input knob at center. The output on the FM3 is nearly dimed.
My presets are all leveled to 0 dB using the Amp level, my Out blocks are at 0 dB, my global output level is set to +4 dB, the Out 1 knob starts at 0 then I increase it until I’m happy with my stage volume, where it usually ends up around 45%. The EV PXM-12MP, whether I’m running one or both, are running with Input 1 and the Master at 50% on the Monitor 2 EQ setting.

I run a feed from Out 2 for FOH but usually I’m barely in the mix and the FOH guy lets the EVs handle the job, but last night I had a particular guest guitarist on the rig, who either doesn’t know how to use his guitar’s volume knob or his pickups are horribly set up, because he had no output power and FOH turned him way up. Several others who used it had plenty of output and the rig was singing. The sound was great either way and FOH was tickled to have that ability.

What DSP setting are you using on the EVs? How are they setup position-wise? Wedge, pole, upright?

Also you're comparing 8" to 12" speakers and I'm betting the EVs may be a truer representation...
I’ve tried both speakers in the wedge position and on a pole where the speakers sit at about waist height. For the EV DSP I’ve used both Mon 1 and Mon 2. It seems like Mon 2 tamed the woof somewhat. It’s not that it sounds horrible. In a band setting it might not even be noticeable. And when I first played the EV I thought it sounded great. It’s just when comparing them both back to back I noticed it. I do think the QSC sounds better on a pole than on the floor as it takes away some of the bass, but even as a monitor I liked the sound better. It just seems more organic and alive than the EV. Of course everyone’s ears, rooms, equipment is different so it could be that I just like the sound of the QSC. I’ll continue to play around with them, using some of the suggestions below.

Just as a follow-up, I tried different settings for the EV others had suggested on a related thread and found one that worked best for me. So now I like the EV better than the QSC. Of course, that could all change the next I plug in!

Just as a follow-up, I tried different settings for the EV others had suggested on a related thread and found one that worked best for me. So now I like the EV better than the QSC. Of course, that could all change the next I plug in!
Monitor 2?

Monitor 1 actually. When I use 2 it sounds too bassy for me. I have the wedge on carpet, maybe this is why? I added a db or two of treble and bass and 4 db of mid @ 1.7k. Will still probably tweak, of course, but liked how it was sounding.

Monitor 1 actually. When I use 2 it sounds too bassy for me. I have the wedge on carpet, maybe this is why? I added a db or two of treble and bass and 4 db of mid @ 1.7k. Will still probably tweak, of course, but liked how it was sounding.
Monitor 2 is flatter than Monitor 1, which is scooped. Carpet sucks up highs in a room so 2 will probably sound darker as a result. With your adjustments it sounds like you are flattening Monitor 1 to counter the carpet resulting in what 2 would be with a little bit of 1.7k boost.

B4C3D3BF-30FB-4CF3-9435-FF3E2DCA3461.jpeg

I got a pair today and so far I'm not liking them as much as my CLRS . I've tried all the settings and did cuts and boosts. They aren't terrible like the Headrush but not great. I'll try more tomorrow. It's another day.

Back
Top Bottom