EV PXM 12MP Comparision Review with Pics

Has anyone had issues with MF10?
The issue currently is getting them in the U.S.
On stage is one MF10 enough or do you need two?
They’re loud, but it depends on what you’re trying to use them for. In a small room they’re plenty loud to use as a back line and your personal monitoring. In an arena or outdoors they still will work fine for your personal monitoring but not to match the FOH sound so you need to send to FOH.

If you want to use a stereo sound you need two, obviously.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned about service in the US too, not because I've heard of problems with them or with getting them repaired, but if they can't even get them for retail, I'd worry about parts availability.

EV is a big and long established company, and they've recently demonstrated the will and ability to handle problems with these specific units.

Meyer Sound MJF-208-RMS-3 Active Stage Monitor

Anyone compare this to the MF10 or CLR

Double the price!!!
Having worked with a fair amount of Meyer gear, I’m sure these sound great. But they are not coaxial. Personally, I’ve grown to really appreciate what coaxial sound does.

My guess is that the Meyers are optimized for very loud output and linearity in one position only. Horses for courses.

Having worked with a fair amount of Meyer gear, I’m sure these sound great. But they are not coaxial. Personally, I’ve grown to really appreciate what coaxial sound does.
Yes, the coaxial speakers work really well.

My guess is that the Meyers are optimized for very loud output and linearity in one position only. Horses for courses.
A friend has a pair of Meyers as his PA, and they sound insanely good, but their price and the fact that they're engineered for that particular use and position kept me from trying them with the modeler. It'd be an interesting experiment though.

Meyer Sound MJF-208-RMS-3 Active Stage Monitor

Anyone compare this to the MF10 or CLR
What are the criteria for the comparison?

Price? The Meyer wins. Bang for the buck? That gets more difficult to answer because Meyer is top-tier uncompromising professional quality and the other two are for people who want great sound but still remain reasonably affordable. Look at repairs and support in your region too. Sound?

EV also has products in the top tier. There are many lower-tier products. You have to decide which features are justifiable to you

For you guys playing out at rehearsal and gig, are you using a pair of this or just 1 speaker?
It depends on whether I feel like running monaural or stereo. Obviously stereo takes up extra space on stage which can sometimes be at a premium, and the sound off the stage really won't transfer into stereo in the audience, but it sounds cool as h-e-double-toothpicks to me.

The other thing I consider is, it takes twice as long to connect two cabs as one, and is one additional cab to carry in.

The answer is, "it depends". In either case, it doesn't affect your ability to send mono or stereo to FOH, which is really the important "decideinator".

For you guys playing out at rehearsal and gig, are you using a pair of this or just 1 speaker?
If I know and trust the sound man and the sound system, I might use one as backline, or just use my IEMs. In venues with unknown sound systems and techs, one EV can pretty easily accomplish what my 1x12 combo would. And it can get loud enough that I’m not as reliant on a thin, buzzy tone that happens when the sound tech sets my channel, before even listening, with a HPF at 500Hz, a boost at 4kHz, and doesn’t check the input gain on the channel of his Peavey board. Not that this has happened to me.

If there is a shallow audience, big stage, and the music I’m playing has lots of stereo effects, I’ll use the pair. It sounds pretty great!

It depends on the stage and situation. If I don’t need two I use one. If I want to project stereo from the stage I use two. I could even send stereo to FOH and run a single cab behind me because I know it’s doing the right thing.

It's really about trust and knowing your system. I trust my FOH guy to handle that side of things. If they want to play with stereo, I can send it. If I want to hear stereo and send them monaural, then I can send a single line and I know it'll sound pretty good… maybe not exactly what I'm hearing but it's what the usual breakdown of stereo to mono will sound like. Read the "MONO VS. STEREO" section in the manual for more information.

Last edited:
If I know and trust the sound man and the sound system, I might use one as backline, or just use my IEMs. In venues with unknown sound systems and techs, one EV can pretty easily accomplish what my 1x12 combo would. And it can get loud enough that I’m not as reliant on a thin, buzzy tone that happens when the sound tech sets my channel, before even listening, with a HPF at 500Hz, a boost at 4kHz, and doesn’t check the input gain on the channel of his Peavey board. Not that this has happened to me.

If there is a shallow audience, big stage, and the music I’m playing has lots of stereo effects, I’ll use the pair. It sounds pretty great!
I just saw your response, but 100% dead on. It's about knowing and trusting the system and whether you trust FOH.

One EV can put out a sh*tload of sound if necessary. Add another if you want to REALLY kick butt or need a stereo sound on, or from, the stage.

They’re loud, but it depends on what you’re trying to use them for. In a small room they’re plenty loud to use as a back line and your personal monitoring. In an arena or outdoors they still will work fine for your personal monitoring but not to match the FOH sound so you need to send to FOH.

If you want to use a stereo sound you need two, obviously.
having toured with the MF10s I would say you'd want two of them if they are your backline. They were enough for me to keep up with a drums and bass in a rockin' power trio, but I wouldn't have wanted to have any less.

Back
Top Bottom