EV ELX112P Opinions?

marshall2553

Power User
These caught my interest and I wanted to see if anyone could share their experience with them. They get decent reviews as PA speakers but I haven't found much about their suitability for use with a modeler.

The only other FRFR speaker I've tried was a QSC K12 which I thought had boomy lows and harsh highs. Is the EV any better in those regards? Does the plywood cab help as far as feeling more amp like? It seems like most of the nicer wedges have wood cabs instead of ABS. I'm also considering a CLR or XiTone, but I could get a pair of the EVs and have a stereo rig for less than one of either of those.

Love em, never looked back , dont have any real comparisons, but the room you play in makes a big diff. I dont have bass soaks, so I do turn off the full range aspect and turn down my global bass eq. Thats my room, not the speakers, I believe.

Forum member Funeral has these. He'll probably chime in with his opinion. I have the 15 inch version and am very happy with them.

I have one. Thinking of picking up another. They're kind of big. But they sound fine. I knocked one of the trim pots off the back transporting it. Not the most durable things. Should probably put them in a case...

$600 for a stereo setup that's loud enough for most drummers and sounds decent? Works for me. I also run direct though so these are mainly doing self-monitoring duties.

To update my own thread, I bought one and it's going back. The highs are great, much less harsh than the QSC I tried before. But the lows are very hyped and it seems to be a bit scooped in the mids. Yes, the EQ was set to flat on the EV and I did try the sub switch. I'd just rather find something flatter than mess with trying to compensate with EQ tweaks. And it's a bit bigger and heavier than I had expected. I may look into a 10" or coaxial 12".

Bummer. I have the 15" version of the same speaker and they are fine for me. Plenty of bass for my bass guitar and the mids are fine for guitar. I don't find that I have to compensate for any scoped sound. Mine are set flat as well. Guess you keep trying until you find what sounds good to your ears.

Back
Top Bottom