EV-2 set up as both Wah and Volume pedal

kangkyt2515

Hi everybody, please let me know if there has already been a thread on this, I wasn't able to find it myself sorry if there is one in advance! I have a EV-2 set up to my AX8 both as a volume pedal and wah pedal (patch cable to instrument input and trs to pedal 1 input) I'm trying to set it up where when I activate the wah (I'm doing it as engage/disengage through stepping on the footswitch instead of autoengage) the volume pedal will not engage. Till now whenever I use the wah, the volume changes along with it. Can any of you ax8 masters let me know if there is a way for me to either choose only between a volume sweep and a wah as needed? Thanks!

Not physically. You need to stop using it as a physical volume pedal and only use it as an expression pedal. Then you can assign it to a VOL block and WAH block as an external controller. And use a switch on the unit to flip between bypassing the VOL and WAH block to control which one is active when you rock the pedal.

Not physically. You need to stop using it as a physical volume pedal and only use it as an expression pedal. Then you can assign it to a VOL block and WAH block as an external controller. And use a switch on the unit to flip between bypassing the VOL and WAH block to control which one is active when you rock the pedal.

Thank you for that information! let me give that a shot

Sorry if this is a really dumb question with an easy answer, but I'm new to this and am still trying to figure it out. Is there a way for me to set up on ax edit where when I engage the volume pedal, the wah will stop working or do I need to have to separate blocks for wah and volume to engage each one separately?

Without modifying the EV-2 switch between the volume and expression outputs, it will not work in any configuration to control both volume and wah in a single preset. It's either a volume pedal or expression pedal. The only pedals I'm aware of that can serve as a 2-in-1 expression pedal are the Mission SP-1 and the SP-2 (no longer in production).

Without modifying the EV-2 switch between the volume and expression outputs, it will not work in any configuration to control both volume and wah in a single preset. It's either a volume pedal or expression pedal. The only pedals I'm aware of that can serve as a 2-in-1 expression pedal are the Mission SP-1 and the SP-2 (no longer in production).
You can use a switch on the AX8 to toggle block bypass states and get it to work. My gear is all packed up but I'll throw an example together later today. Maybe tomorrow morning...

Hey Guys it’s possible. I even have a preset where I use my EV-2 as a volume pedal for one set of effects in some scenes and then a Wah in others and a whammy in another scene. Although routing and scene changes. Hard to type better to video. I’ll do one maybe Friday :0)

Hey Guys it’s possible. I even have a preset where I use my EV-2 as a volume pedal for one set of effects in some scenes and then a Wah in others and a whammy in another scene. Although routing and scene changes. Hard to type better to video. I’ll do one maybe Friday :0)
Thank you! will look forward to it

Would you post this dark magic preset? :0)

Here you go. So this is the simple way to do it. Where you have three scenes for volume, wah and whammy. When you switch a scene that block is active. That means to turn the wah off, you'd switch back to scene 1. It's straight forward to set it up this way using the X/Y state of the blocks and block mutes.

You burn the X state of the wah and whammy blocks -- those blocks use the X state as their mute/off state. Adjust the Y state of those blocks to change what they do in the scene where they're active.

Everything is tied to Expression 1.

A more complicated setup that allowed for auto-engage to work on the wah and the whammy when you're on their active scenes is also possible but you end up using another volume block and filter block to act as row mutes. Something the III's MUX block makes unnecessary now, which is nice.

If there's interest in the more complex case I can post a preset.

Attachments

• VWW 1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
Here's the more complicated approach that allows you to use auto-engage on the wah and whammy blocks so that you can stay in those scenes and the effects will turn off when you stop rocking your expression pedal. You can see we're "burning" a volume and filter block in this preset to act as mutes on rows 2 and 3 here:

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.17.48 AM.png

The wah and pitch blocks are going to auto-engage when the volume block is rolled up, but those extra volume and filter blocks ensure no sound passes through those parallel lines until we engage the right scene. There's no auto-engage on the volume block in row 1, of course.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• VWW 2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
CCA995AA-E2A6-430D-A2AC-FD9CC5D9C90B.png Hi guys. I streamed the concert behind a preset for one of my songs yesterday. It uses one expression pedal and 8 scenes. 3 scenes the expression pedals controls a volume pedal in a second path that feeds a multi delay. As well as the pitch block X and octave down. In 2 other scenes it controls the Wah in auto engage. In one scene it controls just the pitch block Y set up as a whammy

Technically it’s effecting all of those at the same time. Pitch x pitch Y Wah and volume of swirly spacey multi goodness but the paths themselves are not always on. When I get back to the states and can download the Facebook live I will and repost it to YouTube.

I did share the video on all of the Fractal groups. AX8 fx8 Axe 3 etc on Facebook I could find. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Larry , I apologize but I am not understanding the pathing or how you are able to use both wah and vol with 1 EV-2
based on the picture. Any help would be appreciated when you have time. Thanks again.

BF882613-5BB3-422D-90CE-AD7C0645E17B.png Hi Guys.

Okay. My delay, Verb, chorus] are in parallel bad on confusing you. I set up two paths 1- Wah/ filter block (but it could be anything with its bypass parameter set to off the other 2- Comp / GEQ again with its bypass paranetervset to off. They both can’t be on at the same time. The volume pedal is later in the chain after drives and amp before delays and verbs. . It’s bypass paraneter is set to Thru.

Sone scenes. The filter is unbypassed (doing nothing but passing signal) when this is on the volume block is bypassed (no volume) and als the GEQ block is bypassed (no Compressor)

Other scenes the Filter block is bypassed (no Wah) the GEQ block is unbypassed allowing the signal from the compressor through. When thus happens I can leave the volume block bypassed or if I unbypassed it the volume is controlled by the ev2 before the delay./verb

The Ev-2 is always controlling the WAH and Volume pedal they just can’t be on at the same time. That’s why two paths. One path is strictly to take the Wah out of the signal chain. I don’t normally use the compressor block with distortion or overdrive. So that’s in path two.

Ignore the first delay block that set up for reverse delay. The volumepedal is before the main delay block, reverb and chorus.

This preset for me is set up.
Scene 1 Wah, filter amp x, cab, [verb in parallel ]
Scene 2 comp, GEQ Trem, amp x, cab, volume [delay x, Verb, chorus] are in parallel
Scene 3 Wah, filter, pitch, drive, amp y, cab, [delay x, Verb] are in parallel
Scene 4 Wah, filter, drive, amp y, cab, [delay x, Verb,] are in parallel
Scene 5 Wah, filter, amp y, cab, [verb in parallel]
Scene 6 comp, GEQ, pitch, reverse delay, amp x, cab, volume pedal, delay x, Verb, chorus] are in parallel
Scene 7 comp, GEQ , drive, amp y, cab, volume pedal, [delay x and verb in parallel]
Scene 8 comp, geq, amp x, cab, [delay y, verb, chorus in parallel]

Amp X clean super verb
Amp Y dirt plexi1987

Delay 1 in parallel mix level 100%near end of chain
Main delay X is setup for dual deal (either amp tempo of timed for songs) input level 29%
Main delay Y us set up for dotted eighth notes input level 100%

Delay 2 in series right before drive block input level 50%
Delay 2 x reverse delay mix level 100%
Delay 2 y dotted eighth. Mix level 45%

Filter block not usually set to do any thing but pass signal or mute signal. (Could be used to boost gain into amp)

Geq block (used to pass signal or mute signal. (Can be used to enhance certain frequinces fir ckean sounds)

Wah is set to auto engage. Controlled by EV 2

Volumpedal is controlled by EV 2

This is for the AX8. The Axe fx II and III can be done differently and easier but the AX 8 fits nicely in a lop briefcase on planes. :0).

Hope that helps. I did a Facebook live on this but I think the signal dropped in and out. I’m back in the USA now I’ll do one from my studio with good WiFi

It’s the same concept with Wah, Volume and Whammy. Just replace the compressor with a pitch block

Back
Top Bottom