EV-1 question

tonyi

Inspired
OK, will the new EV-1 expression pedal double as a volume pedal and expression pedal (e.g. wah) simultaneous or only in at a time depending on your settings?

I'm not sure what the question is. You wouldn't want it to bring the volume up & down at the same time you're trying to use a wah, correct? (If you did, that could be configured on the Axe while only using the expression port of the pedal to Axe or MIDI controller.)

Like any expression pedal, you can assign it to different things per preset on the Axe-FX, or use a separate switch to toggle between different pedal-controlled blocks in one preset.

I'm not sure what the question is. You wouldn't want it to bring the volume up & down at the same time you're trying to use a wah, correct? (If you did, that could be configured on the Axe while only using the expression port of the pedal to Axe or MIDI controller.)

Like any expression pedal, you can assign it to different things per preset on the Axe-FX, or use a separate switch to toggle between different pedal-controlled blocks in one preset.

I would guess he'd have two rigs, maybe one with a traditional pedal board with the pedal being used as a traditional volume pedal, and then also have an Axe rig where it would be used as a EXP pedal

That would only work if it was switchable between VOL en EXP. I think the Axe pedal will behave the same as the Boss FV500. So either volume pedal or exp but not both at the same time (as far as I know). Btw is the volume pedal high or low impedance?

I can see some practical uses of using both of the same time: when you use an Axe fx along with some other pedals before the Axe input (like I do). You could attach the VOL before your delay pedals and the EXP to the Axe. Then when you want volume swells for the delay pedals you can program an empty exp setting on the Axe and still use VOL for the pedals. That will save you from bringing in a separate volume pedal for your pedals. Not sure if this will work with the Axe EV-1 though.

Last edited:

I was thinking it might have a latch switch on it so that it would work exclusively as a volume pedal until you pushed down on the switch and then it becomes an expression pedal?

It's just a guess that plugging a cable into one circuit wouldn't disable the other from working as usual.

Now I'm really confused. If you can only use it as a volume pedal or an expression pedal why do you need an in and an out. Wouldn't the current expression out do the same thing?

Now I'm really confused. If you can only use it as a volume pedal or an expression pedal why do you need an in and an out. Wouldn't the current expression out do the same thing?

There are 2 circuits with different pot tapers for the intended use of each. Actual volume adjustment in guitar signal chain (logarithmic taper) vs. expression pedal input on an FX unit or MIDI controller (linear taper).

Potentiometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are missing understanding. It can be a traditional volume pedal like you would us an EB with your stomp boxes or you can use the EXP port to use with rack gear and anything that can be used with an expression pedal. FAS did this so that don't lock themselves into one market IE dunlop and EB only make volume pedals and the boss EV5 is only an expression pedal

Back
Top Bottom