EV-1 Pedal

Bulldog50

Inspired
I received my EV-1 Pedal today and connected it to my AXE FXIII to Expression Pedal 1 on the rear. I calibrated it via the I/O menu as instructed. The pedal works fine. Does anyone have an opinion as to what presets sound best for using the EV-1 as a Wah? I am not as experienced as a guitar play as most of you on this board, so I would appreciate a few recommendations.

The short answer is that any preset that you would like to use a wah on would be a great preset to use a wah on. The pedal you use to control that wah sound doesn't have any real bearing on whether the wah would sound good on a preset. The EV-1 is a great pedal, whether you're using it as a wah, a volume pedal, or to control a myriad of other things (like delay speed, delay feedback, tremolo or phaser speed, etc.).

You can add a wah block to any preset you like to try it out.

Try this one:
https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2020-09/DVZ Wahwah_20200928_123758.blk (right-click and save file)

I currently have it set for "External 3" but you can easily set it to whichever controller you set up with your EV-1.

I have a Mission controller for wah, and it's awesome. Feels like a real Crybaby, as it's in the same housing....
Thanks, but the only files I know how to import are individual preset files on the AXE. How do I import a blk file??

Thanks, but the only files I know how to import are individual preset files on the AXE. How do I import a blk file??
You find the folder where AxeEdit stores the block files, and drop it in there, inside the Wahwah subfolder, and it should show up in your Block Library. Then you can select it after you add a bogey Wahwah block, and it will apply the settings.

You could also just insert a wah block and copy the settings. There aren't many to set.
Screen%20Shot%202020-09-28%20at%2012.48.14%20PM.png

Right-click the Control knob, and set the Modifier like this (except, choose your source for Source 1 - Likely "Pedal 1" or "Pedal 2"):
Screen%20Shot%202020-09-28%20at%2012.48.20%20PM.png

This will give you a toe-off wah. To get heel-off, switch Off Value to 5%.

Some of the coolest wahs that you can create are assigning the External 1 to the filter block.

You can make the wah as wide or narrow as you want and the maximum or minimum amount of boost what you desire at a chosen center frequency.

You can also simultaneously assign the same controller to the drive parameter and tone parameter in a fuzz drive block and the size parameter in a reverb.

If you can imagine it, there's usually a way to do it.

Some of the coolest wahs that you can create are assigning the External 1 to the filter block.

You can make the wah as wide or narrow as you want and the maximum or minimum amount of boost what you desire at a chosen center frequency.

You can also simultaneously assign the same controller to the drive parameter and tone parameter in a fuzz drive block and the size parameter in a reverb.

If you can imagine it, there's usually a way to do it.
Sounds cool. Have you a preset with this setup?

As a side question, can you use an EV1 as volume on some scenes and a wah or other expression type on other scenes? This could also be useful to the OP.

I received my EV-1 Pedal today and connected it to my AXE FXIII to Expression Pedal 1 on the rear. I calibrated it via the I/O menu as instructed. The pedal works fine. Does anyone have an opinion as to what presets sound best for using the EV-1 as a Wah? I am not as experienced as a guitar play as most of you on this board, so I would appreciate a few recommendations.

Just in case you don’t know this, may be helpful if you are new

I typically have the wah block first in the chain just after the input block

there is a drop down on the types of wah you would like. On Joe’s post number 5 he covers this, the wah parameters itself.

you can set the sweep frequency , (i like mine for low between 350 and 400 , and high 2000 and 2400 depending on the amp and preset, . fatness, drive, etc, when you click on the wah block to see the parameters. you can basically make the wah sound the way you want, test it with cleans and drive sounds, depending on what you like. typically treble highs pronounce the wah . For instance, wah on a neck pickup with tone knob rolled back is not pronounced as with tone wide open .

as mentioned, right click in axe edit on the control knob to assign to pedal 1 or pedal 2 since you have plugged into the back of the axefe 3
there you can set it up to have the wah auto engage , if you want the wah to be off with heel down or heel up, etc.

In the axe edit screen (as shown above in the other post ) top left you will see source.. mine is pedal one as its plugged into the back of the axefx 3. Also while on the menu, bottom left is auto engage settings. If off, the wah can be always on, I typically sent up for fast, so it turns on when I engage the pedal. but play around with it.

Hope this helps

Just in case you don’t know this, may be helpful if you are new

I typically have the wah block first in the chain just after the input block

there is a drop down on the types of wah you would like. On Joe’s post number 5 he covers this, the wah parameters itself.

you can set the sweep frequency , (i like mine for low between 350 and 400 , and high 2000 and 2400 depending on the amp and preset, . fatness, drive, etc, when you click on the wah block to see the parameters. you can basically make the wah sound the way you want, test it with cleans and drive sounds, depending on what you like. typically treble highs pronounce the wah . For instance, wah on a neck pickup with tone knob rolled back is not pronounced as with tone wide open .

as mentioned, right click in axe edit on the control knob to assign to pedal 1 or pedal 2 since you have plugged into the back of the axefe 3
there you can set it up to have the wah auto engage , if you want the wah to be off with heel down or heel up, etc.

In the axe edit screen (as shown above in the other post ) top left you will see source.. mine is pedal one as its plugged into the back of the axefx 3. Also while on the menu, bottom left is auto engage settings. If off, the wah can be always on, I typically sent up for fast, so it turns on when I engage the pedal. but play around with it.

Hope this helps
Thanks, that is most helpful.

Back
Top Bottom