EV-1 issue

darkknight91

Inspired
I’ve been using 2 EV-1 pedals with my FX8 for a couple years now. They are both used as expression pedals so no audio is going through them. One is programmed as a volume control fulltime and the other for different effects depending on the preset. The problem is with the volume pedal. Recently, in the middle of a gig, the volume will not go silent when backed off all the way. There is a bit of guitar coming through when off. It did this in the middle of a gig. I took the cover off and physically rolled the pot back until it operated correctly. The next gig it did it again. When dialed all the way back, there is still some signal coming through. Any ideas what could be the issue?

how specifically is it setup to control volume? in the Setup CTRL page?

if you switch the 2 pedals physically, does the issue still happen?

Setup has the In 1 (pre) Volume on 17

it operates like the volume on the guitar.

i haven’t switched the pedals around as I was afraid both pedals would go whack. Again, it does this in the middle of a gig. So nothing physically is getting changed. It’s been fine for 2 years and suddenly its done this the last two gigs.

Setup has the In 1 (pre) Volume on 17
if In 1 is set to #17, then it's not being controlled by the pedal... right? it's being controlled by CC#17.

is your EV1 connected to the FX8 pedal jack? are you using another midi controller of some type?

typically to control something with a pedal, you'd assign that parameter to "Pedal 1" and not "17."

does anything in that Setup CTRL list say "Pedal x" for the # pedal jack you're using with the EV1 with the issue?

I’m using a Rocktron Midi Raider. The expression pedals are plugged into that then carried through midi to the FX8. The issue isn’t in the setup. The volume pedal continues to work as it should. It spontaneously changes the range of the pedal. When I have it all the way off, guitar signal is still getting through as if the volume was on 1 or 2. It doesn’t shut off fully like it should. It will do this in the middle of a gig. I have to physically readjust the pedal’s pot so it does shut off when backed off. The next week it did the same thing at another gig.

It doesn’t matter how I plug the pedal in. It’s doing the same thing. I’ll contact them and see what they say. Thanks for your input.

Ive had issues with EV-2 pedals rack gear jumping off the other gear when the pedal is parked toe down and I tap it quickly to heel down. No help from fractal was told they have no parts and I was using the pedals wrong. Went as far as sending them one and they re-aligned the gears and sent it back. the solution for me was to make a plastic shim to keep the spring loaded rack gear from coming off the other gear. Simple to install just remove the expression jack and thread the jack through this plastic piece and re-install nut. I made a batch of these parts and offer them to anyone that asks about them for free. Posts #19 and #20 shows the part and install in this thread.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-calibration-and-my-solution-help-plz.150528/
EV-1 and EV-2 have a different design with jack locations so I don't think my part would work but the same priceable should apply. Ive had no issues since I installed these in my three EV-2 and have mailed out several to other users.

Ive had issues with EV-2 pedals rack gear jumping off the other gear when the pedal is parked toe down and I tap it quickly to heel down. No help from fractal was told they have no parts and I was using the pedals wrong. Went as far as sending them one and they re-aligned the gears and sent it back. the solution for me was to make a plastic shim to keep the spring loaded rack gear from coming off the other gear. Simple to install just remove the expression jack and thread the jack through this plastic piece and re-install nut. I made a batch of these parts and offer them to anyone that asks about them for free. Posts #19 and #20 shows the part and install in this thread.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-calibration-and-my-solution-help-plz.150528/
EV-1 and EV-2 have a different design with jack locations so I don't think my part would work but the same priceable should apply. Ive had no issues since I installed these in my three EV-2 and have mailed out several to other users.

That makes sense. I couldn’t feel the rack gear slipping by moving the pedal too fast. I certainly can’t hear it on a loud stage. I do use the volume expression pedal heel down for silent tuning so maybe I’ve been moving it down too fast. I checked your design. Does your part fit the EV1 as well as the EV2? I didn’t know if they’re the same size. Thanks

Don't own an EV-1 but a buddy does that I will be seeing this weekend, can look at his and see if it will work.

Don't own an EV-1 but a buddy does that I will be seeing this weekend, can look at his and see if it will work.

i can probably make my own if they don’t fit. I certainly have the tools. It would just be a matter of finding the right material. Maybe pickguard material would work.

The plastic I used was about the thickness of two credit cards. Just enough to fill the gap and not bind the rack gear.

I played a gig last night and made sure not to turn the pedal down too quickly. No problems. That tells me the gear was slipping. I’ll take your design and fabricate a part for the pedal. Thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom