EV-1 expression pedal issues

darkknight91

Inspired
I have two of these and having two different issues. The first, I use one as a full time volume pedal. Sometimes, I must go heel down too quickly and it causes the gear stick thing to slip off the potentiometer decalibrating the pedal. I go heel down for silent tuning and once it slips, it wont go completely silent and I have to adjust the pot to recalibrate it. Someone a while ago offered up a mod for this same issue on an EV-2 but that won’t work on an EV-1 because of the internal layouts are different.

The second issue I’m having with the other EV-1 is that pedal gets used for wah, talkbox, or a load of other applications depending on the preset. Sometimes while I’m playing the wah or talkbox will automatically kick on without me touching the pedal. I have to toe down on the pedal then heel down to get it to turn off. I don’t know what the deal is with that one. It‘s been happening a few times per gig. I don’t know if it needs recalibrated or what. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have two of these and having two different issues. The first, I use one as a full time volume pedal. Sometimes, I must go heel down too quickly and it causes the gear stick thing to slip off the potentiometer decalibrating the pedal. I go heel down for silent tuning and once it slips, it wont go completely silent and I have to adjust the pot to recalibrate it. Someone a while ago offered up a mod for this same issue on an EV-2 but that won’t work on an EV-1 because of the internal layouts are different.

The second issue I’m having with the other EV-1 is that pedal gets used for wah, talkbox, or a load of other applications depending on the preset. Sometimes while I’m playing the wah or talkbox will automatically kick on without me touching the pedal. I have to toe down on the pedal then heel down to get it to turn off. I don’t know what the deal is with that one. It‘s been happening a few times per gig. I don’t know if it needs recalibrated or what. Any suggestions are appreciated.
The first issue sounds like a design flaw and similar to the one you mentioned a fix for (I think it was @Tom Morris who came up with the fix).

The second issue sounds like the pedal is slowly "drifting". I'm not sure if the EV has as adjustment for tension? If not you can try using one of the Speed options for auto-engage instead of Position.

Had similar probs with my EV-1, couple of things you can try. Remove the base plate and check the 2 recessed stub screws are tight on the centre pivot/axle think they are 2mm allen key as sometimes they can work loose resulting in free play and need tightening. There should also be a circular rubber type disc in between the 2 tension clamp legs that grip the pivot/axle which can slip out of position and affect the tension. With the pedal upside down, slacken off the tension assembly and if need be reposition the rubber disc by gently levering it back up into the gap between the 2 clamp legs then reapply tension. You can also check the action and teeth om the spring loaded ratchet pawl on the pot gear and reset if necessary.

The pedal isn’t actually moving when the wah, talkbox, etc. are engaging on their own. When either kicks on, I go to heel down the pedal and it’s already down. That’s why I have to toe down first then heel down to get it to turn off. I have them plugged into a Rocktron MidI Raider so I don’t know if that thing is acting up to trigger it or what.

As for the other pedal with the gear slipping, I guess I’ll have to come up with something to prevent it from doing that. Perhaps a stronger spring that keeps it tighter to the potentiometer. Where it’s slipping is when it’s heel down and the teeth are almost off of the potentiometer gear. If that thing was maybe 1/8" longer I don’t think it would slip.

The pedal isn’t actually moving when the wah, talkbox, etc. are engaging on their own. When either kicks on, I go to heel down the pedal and it’s already down. That’s why I have to toe down first then heel down to get it to turn off. I have them plugged into a Rocktron MidI Raider so I don’t know if that thing is acting up to trigger it or what.
Possibly a bad/loose cable connecting the pedal... Or the Midi Raider, as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom