EV-1 bending

Welcome aboard!

Are you asking about pitch bending? If so, then this can be done using a midi controller pedal, not a wah pedal.

Wah pedals use an analogue signal and are not capable of transmitting midi, the only way to make a wah pedal into a midi controller is to rip the inner circuitry out and use a non-taper pot - but I don't advise you go along this path. You can buy cheaper controller pedals (look at the M-Audio one) or you can buy excellent quality ones (check the Fractal site) and save your wah.

Welcome aboard!

Are you asking about pitch bending? If so, then this can be done using a midi controller pedal, not a wah pedal.

Wah pedals use an analogue signal and are not capable of transmitting midi, the only way to make a wah pedal into a midi controller is to rip the inner circuitry out and use a non-taper pot - but I don't advise you go along this path. You can buy cheaper controller pedals (look at the M-Audio one) or you can buy excellent quality ones (check the Fractal site) and save your wah.

I'm new - thanks for invitation and response. I have fractal EV-1 pedal (and mfc-101 + axe II+). Can't see another type on Fractal site. So you suggest buying another one? Or may I use existing?

An expression pedal sends data to a selected effect block changing the effect parameter of choice in relation to the pedal movement; as such, it can be set to do things like sweep a wah filter, raise or lower volume, shift pitch, increase delay times etc. it can even control multiple parameters at once, such as increasing an effect mix and modulation rate. Basically sky and your creativity is the limit

That all said, I don’t personally like the ev1 for wah, too much travel for my liking. It’s great for other tasks, but a spring loaded Mission pedal is my choice for wah, sweep range like a crybaby style pedal and with auto engage the pedal is active when I step in it, back to bypass so as I step off, which is really handy

Sorry, I'm beginner. Can I use EV-1 to simulate strings bending as shown : from 2:00 to 2:10 ?
How to set up on Axe?

This simple answer is "Yes". You can use EV-1 to control the amount of shift on a pitch-shift block.

However, if you really are a beginner at guitar (and not just the AxeFX), and you want to do it this way instead of learning how to bend notes on the guitar, then the answer is, "Don't do it". Learn how to play the instrument properly, and you'll be much happier in the long run. Knowing how to bend notes and play a good vibrato are key elements to playing guitar, and there are no short-cuts here.

I agree wholeheartedly with @StickMan . Gear should never be a crutch. I can't speak for anyone here but me, but I would bet that every player here struggled with learning to play the guitar. It may look easy, but it's not. Accomplished players made the effort to learn and now enjoy all the wonderful sounds that are made with a guitar and the joy of playing. No need to apologize for being a beginner. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Pedal based bending, aka a digitech whammy pedal, such as Tom Morrello of Rage Against the Machine fame, is a fairly different sound than a string bend.

I’d use a pedal for a certain effect, but as previously stated, physically bending the string is what you’d want to learn to master

Practice bending to pitch, be it up one or two frets, and start with lighter gauge strings which aren’t as stiff

Too many new players throw 10’s or 11’s on, because it’s what their guitar hero’s use, and then find the instrument is hard to play.

Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top uses 7’s in fact, super light strings and he still sounds great, and he’s not killing his hands wrestling heavy strings

Yes, you can do this by adding a pitch block and using a controller to bend the pitch. This way you can bend the note much more than you can with your fingers. Bend a note up an octave for example.

Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top uses 7’s in fact, super light strings and he still sounds great, and he’s not killing his hands wrestling heavy strings

I always thought he used 8's, but in any case using strings that light causes challenges in itself. You have to be careful not to bend everything all the time, or even to squeeze too hard when fretting or you'll pull the notes sharp.

I have a 1990 Les Paul, and I was having intonation type issues with it with 9's on it. I was pulling the fretted notes out of tune just by pressing down on the string, and it was particularly noticeable when playing open chords. So I took it to a technician and had him lower all the frets. I think I was a little aggressive with how much I asked him to shave them down (even though I spent time with a micrometer measuring frets on all my other guitars). It's an amazing thing to play now, but it feels a little weird for the first minute or two that you play it while you get used to the really low frets.

Welcome aboard!

Hello,
Is it possible to simulate bending by using pedal (wah pedal)? If so, how to set it up?
Are you referring to simulating a pedal steel type of note bending? If so, it is a combination of beginning a double-stop bend with a volume pedal in the "off" position, then bringing it up as the strings are pushed up. Mark Knopfler is great at this. Listen to the outro of Skateaway.

Are you referring to simulating a pedal steel type of note bending? If so, it is a combination of beginning a double-stop bend with a volume pedal in the "off" position, then bringing it up as the strings are pushed up. Mark Knopfler is great at this. Listen to the outro of Skateaway.

Erm, I wasn't referring to anything, I think you accidentally quoted me there by mistake.

This guy here knows a thing or 2 about string bending, I highly recommend that as a beginner you should get the technique right and not try to rely on a pedal (even tho in some ways this is possible):

Back
Top Bottom