Europa-Song directly recorded with FX8-presets + Marshall JVM410

wolbai

Bought the FX8 early 2016 and used it mainly for home recording so far, together with my Marshall JVM410 (4CM cabling), a Rivera Rockcrusher (power attenuator) and a Radial DI-box with a good cab-sim.

I started to do Live-performances early this year with a duo-partner again. The FX8 has become now an ever more important piece of gear in my signal chain.

I checked out the FX8-presets of one of our program song "Europa" from Santana with a direct recording.
I normally only use some FX8 pre-effects (e.g. compressor, OD-effects, Wah) for recordings.

But I was wondering how good the post effects will sound when directly recorded.

For the Europa-song I use two presets: the first for the Highgain-parts (Marshall channel: OD2-Red) and the second for the cleanish bridge part (Marshall channel: Crunch-Orange).

In both presets I use the Reverb-effect directly from the FX8. In the clean bridge part, I also have used the Rotor/Leslie effect which sounds pretty decent to me (and tapped tempo).

Love this song since many sears. Not that easy to play to get the right sustain in the lead parts and to have a good vibrato/bending intonation. It is also challenging to stay soft and smooth in the beginning and to push the dynamics and aggressiveness towards the end of the song.

Tried to stay close to the original. Having that said: the outro part is more or less improvised in the style of CS.

Any feedback is welcome :)

wolbai

Last edited:
Thx guys for your feedback - I appreciate that a lot !

TO THE ADMIN:
I accidently have posted this Thread in the MFC-Forum. Can someone from the Admin move my Thread to the FX8-Forum please ?

EDIT:
Ok, I helped myself by duplicating the initial Post to the FX-8 forum.

Thx wolbai

Last edited:
Thx guys for your feedback - I appreciate that a lot !

TO THE ADMIN:
I accidently have posted this Thread in the MFC-Forum. Can someone from the Admin move my Thread to the FX8-Forum please ?

EDIT:
Ok, I helped myself by duplicating the initial Post to the FX-8 forum.

Thx wolbai
I reported it... Hopefully an admin will handle it :)

@X-Mann: Thank you - great feedback!

In case of interest for everyone dealing with high gain tones, here is what I do with the FX8:

I use two noise gates to reduce pickup hum/feedback and hiss from the pre amp section of my Marshall.
The first one in the signal chain is the preset noise gate to deal with the pickup noise. For the second noise gate I use the GateExp as the first effect in the FX-loop to deal with the pre amp noise.
Using noise gates is always a trade-off between unwanted noise and tone/sustain. Everyone has to find its own sweet spot for that. And that is pretty much pickup and amp related as well.

As my Marshall has lots of Gain, I always shape my High gain tone with the FX8 Tube Screamer effect in a pre-EQ form: zero Drive, Level around 3-4. That cleans up (tightens) some bass frequencies and add more mid range. That is typically old school.

On the Marshall amp side, I reduce bass frequencies pretty much and push the Mids like grazy (Mid-EQ is around 8-9/10).
As the JVM-Marshall tends to be a bit ice picky for high gain, I have rolled back the Treble-EQ (3-4/10). Instead of that, I increase the (higher) presence frequencies on the power amp section. That gives a good cut through the overall mix.
The amp Gain on the OD2-Red channel is for the lead tone around 3-4/10 (between 10-11 o'clock). Together with the Doug Aldrich pickups, this is enough to get that long sustained Santana tone.

And finally, I have worked a lot on my vibrato in the last 4 years. And that will continue in the future. I do not see an end.
That is probably more important as all the good gear for my tone.

Feedback is welcome as we all have our own valuable guitar journey/path.

wolbai

Back
Top Bottom