Euro Blue & Red - did they change? Now EL34?

Random Hero

Inspired
I'm sure they used to default to 6L6 as per the 20th Anniversary model so is this a new model in Cygnus?

On top of that, how do I best simulate the boost in the amp? Neutral on the input boost perhaps? Ideas welcome!

Nope the were always EL34.
The Bogner in the Axe is modeled after a XTC 20th Anniversary which has original EL34 Tubes.
The regular XTC has 6L6 Tubes and its not modeled in the Axe Fx.
you can also take a look at the Amp list.
Cheers
Sash

Edit: I was wrong, there were 6l6 before.

Last edited:
Yes, the tubes changed from 6L6 to EL34 in the Cygnus update. I don’t know why. Maybe Cliff got a new XTC and based the model on that new amp.

The 20th anniversary XTC was available with both 6L6 and EL34 tubes.

I think Random Hero is right--my old Euro Red patches all have 6L6Gc in the poweramp, but in Cygnus, the Euro Red defaults to EL34. Yek's guide says it was modeled off the 6L6 anniversary model, so it might be an error in the default.

I think Random Hero is right--my old Euro Red patches all have 6L6Gc in the poweramp, but in Cygnus, the Euro Red defaults to EL34. Yek's guide says it was modeled off the 6L6 anniversary model, so it might be an error in the default.
Thats amp can do either tube I know Austin Buddy uses EL34 on his stuff , maybe Ciiff changed the tubes

Man I have been absolutely LOVING the XTC 20th model. The Blue Vintage ch is stellar.

I looked it up on the Wiki and it says it is 6L6's and I was convinced it was until I read the above posts. I see that it has indeed changed to EL34's on FM3 Edit with Cygnus. Can anyone confirm if that is an error in the FM3 and the Wiki is correct or vice versa?

I am seriously considering getting the actual physical amp at some point and was convinced it was 6L6's, Since the amp comes in both versions it would be helpful too know which is correct. (Seems odd that they would redo the previous model just for diff tubes with everything they have had going on with the new firmware). Thanks!

Man I have been absolutely LOVING the XTC 20th model. The Blue Vintage ch is stellar.

I looked it up on the Wiki and it says it is 6L6's and I was convinced it was until I read the above posts. I see that it has indeed changed to EL34's on FM3 Edit with Cygnus. Can anyone confirm if that is an error in the FM3 and the Wiki is correct or vice versa?

I am seriously considering getting the actual physical amp at some point and was convinced it was 6L6's, Since the amp comes in both versions it would be helpful too know which is correct. (Seems odd that they would redo the previous model just for diff tubes with everything they have had going on with the new firmware). Thanks!
Get the EL34 tube version if you are thinking about buying the real thing. I own and love this amp, 101b version - great classic rock amp.

Get the EL34 tube version if you are thinking about buying the real thing. I own and love this amp, 101b version - great classic rock amp.
I am in love with the blue vintage channel. It's open, percussive and organic...feels amazing too... I get lost when playing it. Do you have any experience with the Goldfinger 45 SL or the XTC 3534? Since the 20th XTC is so freakin expensive curious if the blue ch on the 3534 is the same as the 20th or if the GF 45 SL is similar in any way?

I am in love with the blue vintage channel. It's open, percussive and organic...feels amazing too... I get lost when playing it. Do you have any experience with the Goldfinger 45 SL or the XTC 3534? Since the 20th XTC is so freakin expensive curious if the blue ch on the 3534 is the same as the 20th or if the GF 45 SL is similar in any way?
Not sure I can help with that....In real life, I haven't actually played any but the Ecstasy 101b, except I played a Shiva in Austin Vintage Guitars about 14 years ago... I only hear good things about all their amps, and I think Reinhold is a mad genius. But I always said I could do tones needed for almost any gig with that Ecstasy....Or maybe a Diezel VH4.

After the release of Cygnus, I went through all amp models and added the type of power tubes to the wiki page. The Euro used to be 6L6s, and now is EL34s. So the info on the wiki page wasn't wrong, it has been updated.

I owned the real EL34 amp (Classic) as well as the 6L6 amp (20th Ann). Loved both but in the end I preferred the 6L6 version by a slight margin, being less "wooly".

Having said that, I really love Fractal's current model (EL34).

To virtually swap power tubes in the AxeFx:

EL34 to 6L6: Select 6L6, then increase the LF and HF Resonance

6L6 to EL34: Select EL34, then decrease the LF and HF Resonance
Is this just on XTC or a general rule
like if i switch SLO to 34s should i reduce the HF LF res

I have a Golddfinger 45. Great amp. More similar to XTC Blue Channel
and really doesn't have the gain on tap to get into Red Channel territory.
Spongier feel and not quite as percussive as the XTC. Similar but different.

I wasn't a fan of the Bogner models prior to Cygnus, and now I am, if
that says anything. :)

To virtually swap power tubes in the AxeFx:

EL34 to 6L6: Select 6L6, then increase the LF and HF Resonance

6L6 to EL34: Select EL34, then decrease the LF and HF Resonance
Not seeing these, where are they located?

Nevermind.......found em on the speaker tab.

Last edited:
Both the Euro Blue Mdrn and Euro Red Mdrn changed drastically in sound after the Cygnus update. This, combined with the change from 6L6 to EL34 tubes, makes me think the Cygnus models is based on a different/new XTC than in previous firmwares.

They did change for the better however, so no complaints here. I loved the old Euro Models, but the Cygnus Euro models are even better. They sound insanely good now!

Both the Euro Blue Mdrn and Euro Red Mdrn changed drastically in sound after the Cygnus update. This, combined with the change from 6L6 to EL34 tubes, makes me think the Cygnus models is based on a different/new XTC than in previous firmwares.

They did change for the better however, so no complaints here. I loved the old Euro Models, but the Cygnus Euro models are even better. They sound insanely good now!
Maybe Cliff swapped the tubes in his 20th XTC to 34s and rebiased

Back
Top Bottom