Eugene's Lick Picks (Online youtube series)

Hey guys! What I'm doing here is a new series of short videos that I intend to release every week or two, where I showcase a short solo/lick that I've learnt from my guitar heroes or come up with. While I don't include the tabs, I've included a breakdown section at the back where I will dissect each solo slowly so you guys can learn it too! Hope you guys like it, fellow guitarists, let me know what you think :)

All audio was recorded with my axe fx II, firmware 10.11. This thing kicks so much arse.

Be sure to subscribe to my channel should you dig this series guys and want to be updated of new uploads :)

Heres episode 2 of lick picks! This week i tackle a neoclassical sequence that i picked up from "the guitar chapter", Michael Romeo's instructional dvd with Young Guitar. Hope you guys dig this and if you do, hit the subscribe button and support a budding musician and avid guitarist :D Most of all, i do hope the videos interest you guys in learning the licks!

I am actually only picking once per string

? :O

First I was confused which part is that, then I realized it's the link at the end, yet I think you pick twice per string (at the breakdown even 3 sometimes).

I am glad you make instructional video, but that would confuse the hell out of a beginner. I only mention it as a feedback, that you can use for future video.

Last edited:

Sorry but, there is no consistency in the lick. You switch back and forth from 'all picking' to the legato. Also you start the lick with down stroke but at the second sequence you turn around and start with upstroke. Obviously starting with upstroke is more convenient for you, so you should start with that from the beginning so that IS the Lick and not "something like that".

Since it's an instructional video these things are important.

I also suggest, writing down the tab for the lick and mark the down-stroke, up-stroke and legato. It will help you to realize these things too.

I hope you can fix those, at least in the upcoming video. Keep doing it, though!

PS: normal speed and slow, should be identical except speed.

Last edited:
? :O

First I was confused which part is that, then I realized it's the link at the end, yet I think you pick twice per string (at the breakdown even 3 sometimes).

I am glad you make instructional video, but that would confuse the hell out of a beginner. I only mention it as a feedback, that you can use for future video.

Hi yes i do pick only once for the top 3 strings. For the A and D string i pick more than once. Im still getting the hang out of making instructional videos unfortunately. However, I wouldn't really encourage viewers to replicate the lick exactly with regards to picking patterns. I for one do not follow picking patterns too strictly. I find it really locks up your improvisational capabilities cus you need to really count and decide whether to start with an upstroke or downstroke and things like that. I always pick what feels comfortable to me and i encourage people to really choose their picking pattern for the lick liberally, and try to give it their own flavour as well by maybe incorporating legato or pull offs. I really appreciate you taking the time to watch the videos and giving your feedback though man, really happy that at least there are people out there giving constructive feedback! :D

Sorry but, there is no consistency in the lick. You switch back and forth from 'all picking' to the legato. Also you start the lick with down stroke but at the second sequence you turn around and start with upstroke. Obviously starting with upstroke is more convenient for you, so you should start with that from the beginning so that IS the Lick and not "something like that".

Since it's an instructional video these things are important.

I also suggest, writing down the tab for the lick and mark the down-stroke, up-stroke and legato. It will help you to realize these things too.

I hope you can fix those, at least in the upcoming video. Keep doing it, though!

PS: normal speed and slow, should be identical except speed.

Sorry you must have seen the video wrongly. I always start with a downstroke. Its a habit. I rewatched the video and i did indeed start with a downstroke followed by 2 upstrokes, utilising economy picking. And i definately do want to get down and make tabs for each video in this series but unfortunately i have no time! :( I do hope i played it slow enough for everyone to catch the notes..

Haha no offence taken whatsoever man, constructive feedback is always welcome in my books :D This patch is a little bit too muddy and gainy i feel. If i had a chance i would back the gain off on the amp model a little. By the way this patch is available here

Metalguitarist.org - Patch Library - Shred Patch (Francesco Filigoi)

I did tweak the gain and amp basic bass/mids/treble a little here. But basically it was the tone that was in Francesco Filligoi's awesome cover of the decapitated solo.

Hey guys new video up again! This episode, i tackle a descending aeolian lick utilising picking, legato and pull offs. Hope you guys have fun with this one, definately throw it in during a beer-fuelled rock gig

:)

Last edited:

Hey guys new lick up! Neoclassical sequence from Bach this week, remember to give me a like or subscribe if you like what I'm doing, means the world to me :D

Hi Eugene,

great stuff - thank you very much for making and sharing these!! Also I like your tone a lot, especially the one in no. 6 and when the closing titles run. As no one aksed before - can you share these patches or advise what you have dialed up in them?

Hi dabert! The tone in the closing thread was basically the stock patch 005(ac15) with a stereo tape delay after the amp and cab block at 450ms and at mix 34%. I played it with the coil tapped bridge humbucker on my suhr.

With regards to my lead tone in these lick picks, its basically a friedman hbe model with delay(very important to have that liquidy tone) and reverb (to create thickness and "space" in the tone). However, i am not one bit proud of this patch, and have actually made a new patch which i hope to release in my upcoming video releases. I have moved on to the mesa rectifier for my current lead tone. And wayyyy less gain nowadays than for the existing lick pick videos! Also its worth noting the importance of adjusting the height on your pickups to achieve the desired tonal results.

Give me a subscribe or like if you can guys, would mean soo much to me!

Eugene,

just subscribed and liked - that was an easy one :)

Thanks for your replies in regard to the settings! When you say "adjust pick up height", do you refer to closer / up rather than more apart / down? Typically I adjust my Bridge PU so that it still has sufficient string clearance and then adjust the neck PU so that when switching, volume is approximately the same. How do you go about it?

Looking forward to your next Videos!

Yes thats very correct but i dont really think about volume differences to be honest thanks for the lesson! i prefer the bridge pickup to be higher than the neck pickup because i like abit more bite, but i try to balance between getting it too thin and shrill and fat and singing. The neck pickup i prefer it quite high as well, because when i do past picking theres this very nice and punchy midrange. But not too high because when i dig in, i like abit of those squishy overtones and "juicyness". Then again, that "juicyness" varies from model to model. Its definately more juicy on the hbe than the rectifer that im using now. Its alot of experimentation i guess, im still learning really :D

Back
Top Bottom