Ethernet to Ethercon adapter box

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
Guys,
I had seen a little ethernet cable that went into a little box terminating in a Ethercon jack. I searched the forum and can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone remember who makes it and where I can get one?

Thanks!

Even though a connector can string together multiple Cat 5 or Cat 6 cables, you don't want to go beyond 100m without using a repeater or hub.

Dunno about the OP but I was looking for a "breakout box" for my pedalboard where I can hook up an ethercon cable from my rack panel.

I used a small metal electrical outlet box from home depot. They even have the small round knockouts that fit the ethercon perfectly.

Dunno about the OP but I was looking for a "breakout box" for my pedalboard where I can hook up an ethercon cable from my rack panel.

I use the above linked box attached to the MFC with a piece of strong Velcro. I have a mounted front panel "D" ethercon jack as well on the rack with the Axe FX II. I then use a ethercon cable to connect the two.

The panel mount ethercon is easy to find. Finding something that did not have to fabricated on the MFC side took a bit more searching -thus the link I provided.

Last edited:
I use the above linked box attached to the MFC with a piece of strong Velcro. I have a mounted front panel "D" ethercon jack as well.

The panel mount ethercon is easy to find. Finding something that did not have to fabricated on the MFC side took a bit more searching -thus the link I provided.

This is exactly what aleclee probably needs. It's exactly what I need so am ordering one today. Thanks again LittleWiggler!

Good post. I think I'll get one and use the velcro to MFC solution as the ethernet connector on the MFC is the weakest link in my whole FAS chain.

Neutrik EtherCon Assemblies / Variax¨ Digital Input Cables

They also have a "Fractal Audio" section. FAS recommends their products. I think they are a great company to deal with, and their prices are generally fair.

I understand people are using the Neutrik NE8FF attached to the MFC to convert regular ethernet cable to ethercon... but what about on the Axe-Fx side? Assuming no custom I/O panel, what is the best solution?

Last edited:
Neutrik EtherCon Assemblies / Variax¨ Digital Input Cables

They also have a "Fractal Audio" section. FAS recommends their products. I think they are a great company to deal with, and their prices are generally fair.

I understand people are using the Neutrik NE8FF attached to the MFC to convert regular ethernet cable to ethercon... but what about on the Axe-Fx side? Assuming no custom I/O panel, what is the best solution?

Awesome thanks, didn't think of checking there.

I was just going to buy 2 of those connector things, and put it on the shelf i have in my rack for a monitor mixer i have. otherwise, you could probably put it on a wall in your rack, or taped to back of axe....or something like that.

I bought my Ethercon cable from hansiebass on this forum who owns Vafam Sound. He also makes kick ass rack panels for the axe fx. I don't know that his cable is more heavy duty than the bestronics cables but mine was less than $25 if memory serves me right for a 20 footer which I thought was reasonable. The owner Hans is also a great guy and is happy to work out a custom rack panel solution to meet any need you might have. He even put powercon on my panel so I don't have to open the back of the rack to power it.

Original Axe II with MFC via Ethercon

Hi All, I have an original issue Axe-Fx II and I'm considering purchasing the MFC-101 or the Voodoo Labs Control Pro. I see the new Mark II Axe-Fx and latest MFC-101 have ethercon jacks to improve the ruggedness of the pair. I assume that I would need one of these ethercon to CAT 5 converters to pair my 1st edition Axe II with the new MFC-101? I don't see that the MFC comes with any interface cables? Is that true?

I would need the following...?

*AX II F----M standard CAT 5 M---F ethercon adapter F---M ethercon cable M----F MFC

Also, any reason to go with the MFC interface vs. standard 7 pin MIDI. Both would provide phantom power and full control?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out.

F=female
M=male

I assume that I would need one of these ethercon to CAT 5 converters to pair my 1st edition Axe II with the new MFC-101?
Nope. You can plug a regular RJ45 (Cat 5) connector into an ethercon jack.

Also, any reason to go with the MFC interface vs. standard 7 pin MIDI. Both would provide phantom power and full control?
No wall wart needed with MFC interface. Also, it's a lot easier to find Cat 5 cables than 7 pin MIDI.

I went from 7 Pin MIDI on my Standard to Ethercon/J45. The main differences are no power supply needed - with 7 Pin MIDI you need the MFC power pluged in tot he AFX, meaning more weight in the rack, some way of securing the PSU, and some means of plugging the PSU into a powe strip. With J45/Ethercon its just the cable.

Ethercon cable is quite a bit cheaper than 7 Pin MIDI cable as well.

not sure if there are other benefits of J45 over Midi cable. Speed perhaps, but I relly dont know.

Hi there !

I'm about to choose the same solution (2 NEUTRIK NE8FF + Ethercon cable) and thank everybody for sharing problems/solutions here ;-).
Before ordering it, I have just a question about the 2 little ethernet cables : I think they have to be "straight" and not "crossover". Someone can confirm it please ?

Have a nice New year's Day !

Pierre

Back
Top Bottom