Ethernet cable?

Amped

Hi I just ordered a MFC-101 board. I know an Ethernet cable is required. Cat 5, but can a Cat 6, 7 or 8 be used. I’m not familiar with this board as I’ve been using a FCB1010.
Thank you

Yes. Cat 6, 7, & 8 cables exceed the specs for Cat 5 for data speeds and are all backwards compatible. They all should work equally well as long as the pinout is standard Ethernet specs.

Yes. Cat 6, 7, & 8 cables exceed the specs for Cat 5 for data speeds and are all backwards compatible. They all should work equally well as long as the pinout is standard Ethernet specs.

Thank you! How would I know if the cable is standard Ethernet specs? Is there a particular cable that everyone uses? I can get pretty good ones on Amazon

The two most common ethernet cables you'll encounter are patch cables and crossover cables. If it's not specifically labeled as a crossover cable or other custom use, it will most likely be a regular patch cable.

Most common Ethernet patch cable pinouts for RJ45 connectors: (must be the same on both ends of the cable)

t568a-t568b-wiring-standard.png

T-568B cables are more common these days, but as long as the pinout is the same on both ends of the cable, either one will work fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom