"Essential" Amps on the AX8

I’m going to revisit the Angle / Engl. it was one of the models that struck me when I first sampled the various amps but then I settled on a few others. I love the brute force and clarity in those Angle Severe clips by Leon.

It took me a while to feel comfortable dialling that one in (Yek's amp guide helped immensely) but when I did the reward was worth it.

Two things about the Savage, on mode 2 the presence if more a fizz control and should be kept low, like the energyball, whereas on mode 1 it delivers basic presence and will shine above 5. And the depth control has a big impact on the tone, from 0 to 10, and make or break the mids. Especially on mode 1 where it's really needed to get the mids right.

Forgot about that one! I actually prefer the JVM over the JS model in the AX8, which apparently isn't an opinion shared by many. You're right, it rips!

I hadn't fired the JVM's up since FW 7.01. I took the Friedman patch I used in the video and dialled up Brit JVM OD1 OR with the same settings. My lord it's awesome! Personally I never liked the real JVM amps (much prefer the JCM2000 DSL50) but this model is great. Instant gratification!

Two things about the Savage, on mode 2 the presence if more a fizz control and should be kept low, like the energyball, whereas on mode 1 it delivers basic presence and will shine above 5. And the depth control has a big impact on the tone, from 0 to 10, and make or break the mids. Especially on mode 1 where it's really needed to get the mids right.
This is great advice. presence around 3 works for me with the Savage.

Which cab to you tend to go with for these? Excited to swap my go-to Hook 1A for the gig tonight maybe :)

135 — 1x12 AC-20 DLX M160
060 — 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160
032 — 4x10 BASSGUY M160
098 — 3x10 VIBRATO KING MIX

I'm really partial to the M160 mic'd cabs. I play mostly rhythm, so I need a full, but not piercing sound and they tend to break up nicely. I use the AC-20 with most of the low-wattage EL84 amps except for the Badger. I like the 4x12 Greenback cab in stereo with the Bassguy for smooth, early breakup amps, and the Vibrato King for nasty bluesier sounds. Low cut at 150 and high cut at 8750, proximity at 1 for all of them, except for the Bassguy which I use at 1.5 for a little extra woof. All stereo cabs are centered so as to mix their sounds and set to Sum L+R. Hope that helps!

I hadn't fired the JVM's up since FW 7.01. I took the Friedman patch I used in the video and dialled up Brit JVM OD1 OR with the same settings. My lord it's awesome! Personally I never liked the real JVM amps (much prefer the JCM2000 DSL50) but this model is great. Instant gratification!

Given how popular the DSL's were/are, I wonder if they'll ever be added to the stable.

Couldn’t the DSL be dialed in using one of the JVM models and tweaking? I know the real world amps have differences (I’ve owned both), but they’re in a similar universe so it seems like the software Model should be able to get it done.

135 — 1x12 AC-20 DLX M160
060 — 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160
032 — 4x10 BASSGUY M160
098 — 3x10 VIBRATO KING MIX

I'm really partial to the M160 mic'd cabs. I play mostly rhythm, so I need a full, but not piercing sound and they tend to break up nicely. I use the AC-20 with most of the low-wattage EL84 amps except for the Badger. I like the 4x12 Greenback cab in stereo with the Bassguy for smooth, early breakup amps, and the Vibrato King for nasty bluesier sounds. Low cut at 150 and high cut at 8750, proximity at 1 for all of them, except for the Bassguy which I use at 1.5 for a little extra woof. All stereo cabs are centered so as to mix their sounds and set to Sum L+R. Hope that helps!
Wow thanks a boatload! We seem to like the same type of clean sounds, also loving the Badger for warmer/grittier cleans and almost always pick a M160 cab.

Odds are you're liking the Fuzzbomb M160 aswell, that's what I'm using on the christmas show im doing, sounds awesome with a Hook or CAE Clean! Gonna try the fractal greenback tonight and maybe play with the Proximity setting for the first time

In no particular order..

800 #34
Corncob M50
Boutique 2
JS JVM (orange)
FAS 6160

There's still a lot i haven't even got around to trying properly though.

Wow thanks a boatload! We seem to like the same type of clean sounds, also loving the Badger for warmer/grittier cleans and almost always pick a M160 cab.

Odds are you're liking the Fuzzbomb M160 aswell, that's what I'm using on the christmas show im doing, sounds awesome with a Hook or CAE Clean! Gonna try the fractal greenback tonight and maybe play with the Proximity setting for the first time
I actually haven't tried the Fuzzbomb yet. I will give it a shot. Would you mind posting your favorite preset with that cab? What guitar are you playing? Thanks!

I actually haven't tried the Fuzzbomb yet. I will give it a shot. Would you mind posting your favorite preset with that cab? What guitar are you playing? Thanks!
Let me know what you think! I'm on tour now with no interface to edit or extract presets but I'll share it as soon as I can :)
But a light Pedal Comp into a Hook 1A (reset the amp block) into the fuzzbomb is whats in there except time effects. All knobs at noon except lowered drive and bass!

Great Thread l!!!!

X’s Top-5 (in no paticular order) ;)

Triptik Modern:
Lead:

USA IIC+

JS410 (My #1 Favorite AX8 amp)

EVH 5150 Blue \m/

Bogner Ectasy

All of these amps have moved me in a big way & helped motivate me to play more & create some melodies....

Peace! X

Side Note: You’re also seeing my Top-5 “Oh Faces” here too! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Great Thread l!!!!

X’s Top-5 (in no paticular order) ;)

Triptik Modern:
Lead:

USA IIC+

JS410 (My #1 Favorite AX8 amp)

EVH 5150 Blue \m/

Bogner Ectasy

All of these amps have moved me in a big way & helped motivate me to play more & create some melodies....

Peace! X

Side Note: You’re also seeing my Top-5 “Oh Faces” here too! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Great tone and playing as always!

Back
Top Bottom