Error messages updating MFC-101 Firmware version 3.06

BreadTooth

Experienced
**** SOLVED **** see post #7

Greetings Fractals,

I'm getting error messages updating my MFC to firmware 3.06.
Using Fractal Bot, MIDI Buffer Delay 300ms
FW Update Mode confirmed MFC-101 into Firmware Update Mode.

at 33%, a Error 6 message shows on the MFC.

another attempt resetting the buffer to 200ms gives the same results.

setting the buffer to 90ms, the MFC immediately gives error 17 message.

Any ideas?

Axe-Fx I/O MIDI settings:
a. USB ADAPTER MODE to “ON”.
b. SEND REALTIME SYSEX to “NONE”.

AxeFx II XL Midi Out/Thru connected to MFC-101 Mark III using a known to work 5 pin midi cable, the same cable I've used with any/all MFC firmware installs.

MFC-101 Mark III AC Adapter directly to its power input jack.

Last edited:
Re-download the firmware?

FWIW I'm using a UM-1G with a 150 ms buffer in Fractal-Bot. I don't power the MFC up with EtherCon or FASLink, I just use the wall wart for updates.

Thanks Ian,

re-downloaded the firmware. Same results.
Tried using MIDI-Ox, same results.

Flumoxed.

That UM-1G looks like a nifty tool. I might have to pick one up.

In the meantime, I'm still looking forward to getting this firmware installed. This sucks for me, as I've never had difficulties with MFC firmware upgrades using the AxeFx as the interface with the 5pin MIDI cable I am using. Dunno what else to try. These are unfamiliar error code messages to me.

I submitted a support ticket to FAS.

Solved.

Purchased a Roland UM-One USB MIDI Interface from a local guitar shop.
Brought it home, installed the drivers on my PC.
Connected USB side to my PC, MIDI side to MFC101 MIDI IN
Fractal Bot detected UM-One, and I shot that new firmware into the MFC at 150ms buffer delay.
SUCCESS!

No fuss, no muss.

Thank you iaresee for assisting online and off, and for guiding me to using this MIDI device.

In all my time on the forum, I did not understand about this option for updating the firmware. I've always just used the AxeFx as my MIDI device with no problems, until today.

I am grateful at the moment that my MFC is working, and I will now be able to move my presets off the 1st row where I have wanted my scenes to be.

HUZZAH!

Hey.

I had the same issue so increased the midi buffer delay in Fractal Bot to 480ms and it worked perfectly.

I was going to say exactly the same thing, I had the problem when upgrading to 3.05 and found 480 was the magic number to get it to work. The same held true for me when going to 3.06.

Damn!
I was going in the wrong direction with the buffer.
It seemed like the slower the buffer setting, I was seeing error 6.

I dunno.
I'm happy that I now know of the little usb midi device, and have it in my tools to use for future firmware.
Yeah!

I also got Error 6 on my first attempt to update to 3.06. I wasn't watching so I don't know how far I got. I changed my buffer to 480 ms and got all the way to 83% before failure. So I set the buffer to around 650 ms and tried again. This time I only got to 27%.
So I plugged my Midi cable into my Presonus Audio Box 22VSL and was successful in my update attempt.

I'm having an issue updating my Mark III from 3.05 to 3.06 (mfc101-v3p06-mk3.syx) using Midisport Uno via FractalBot Ver. 2.0.5 (Uno's "To Midi In" connector is connected to MFC Midi In jack).

FractalBot sends data 0%-100% completion, but MFC display never changes its "FW Update Mode" status during the update (i.e., MFC doesn't display progress or completion status).

When I power cycle the MFC and check the firmware version it still says FW 3.05.

EDIT: problem solved instantly by simply downloading the latest M-Audio driver for the Midisport to my MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue updating my Mark III from 3.05 to 3.06 (mfc101-v3p06-mk3.syx) using Midisport Uno via FractalBot Ver. 2.0.5 (Uno's "To Midi In" connector is connected to MFC Midi In jack).

FractalBot sends data 0%-100% completion, but MFC display never changes its "FW Update Mode" status during the update (i.e., MFC doesn't display progress or completion status).

When I power cycle the MFC and check the firmware version it still says FW 3.05.

You need to switch the cable, MidiSport Midi Out to MFC Midi In

Back
Top Bottom