Error 14 message after trying to update ??

JIMMY G

Inspired
While trying to update (from 2.16 to 2.17) I first got an Error 6 then error 18. Now all I get when I turn on the MFC is an error 14 message and my board dose not work at all. I must have skipped a step or done something wrong. I just realized I didnt tell the MFC which port to get update from. It was on the cat 5 port not the midi port. Is there any way to get my MFC to work again? Should I do a system reset, or is this something for tech support?

Last edited:
You can recover from this error. I think it is caused by a problem during the attempt to transfer firmware. What MIDI interface did you use? What application?

Once error 14 happens, a firmware update window is imposed. If a given update attempt is not completed within a time limit, error 14 will happen again. If you send the update quickly enough, the firmware will take and you'll be back to normal. The solution therefore, contrary to usual MIDI wisdom, is to speed to transfer up instead of slowing it down. However, if you go too fast, the update will fail. It's a matter of finding the right transfer rate.

Using Fractal-Bot under OS X with an Axe-Fx II as the interface, I was able to help a customer escape error 14 using a MIDI Buffer delay of 90 ms.
Using MIDI OX under OS X with a MIDISport UNO as the interface, I was able to help a customer escape error 14 using a MIDI Buffer delay of 50 ms.

I am using OSX and used midi ox. I didn't know you could use bot. Do you set up everything the same except use bot instead of midi ox? Right now it goes straight to error 14 and I cant do anything with the MFC, but I'll keep trying to see if I can resend the firmware otherwise Im not sure what to do if it will not let me past the error 14 message. I guess what happened is I sent the update to the expantion port instead of the midi port.

I keep trying but I cant get past the error14 and error18 when I go into edit mode. I need to get into the midi menu so I can tell the MFC to use the midi port but I just keep getting the errors so I cant get to the setup menu. Not sure what to do now??

Now all I can get is error 14 no access to anything. Should I call support?

Last edited:
I resolved this by using the power supply to power the MFC and disconnect the Ethernet cable and only use the MIDI CABLE. Matt @ told me that you don't have to tell the MFC which port to accept the update but I had trouble if I had both the Ethernet and MIDI CABLES both hooked up at the same time. Just my experience FYI

Back
Top Bottom