Ernie Ball vp jr as Expression Pedal?

donnyg1

Does anyone know if Ernie Ball vp jr volume pedals will work as expression pedals with the FX8?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you modify it like this, it should be fine. I did the exact same tweak aswell and both my Ernie Balls work great with the MFC, so I'm sure they'll work with your FX8 aswell!

I use one for a blend / expression pedal unmodded. be warned that replacing / removing the string is a ginormous pain in the rear. I had to replace a few of them and it's no walk in the park.

Removing / replacing the strings isn't that hard! You need a little bit of time and patience, that's all. Ok, some tools are good to have too ;) But it's worth it!

Removing / replacing the strings isn't that hard! You need a little bit of time and patience, that's all. Ok, some tools are good to have too ;) But it's worth it!

I have two modified EB Jr, love them... first one, didnt have a proper tool for re-assembly the string.. .fecking feck... 2nd pedal, my friend made a neat "hook" kind of tool for me.... walk in the park.

I found a way to do it without really needing any tools, just a screwdriver and long-nosed pliers basically. It's hard to explain, especially in my not-native language, but I'll give it a try:

With the first of my two pedals, I made it the way it's described by this video by Ernie Ball, which wants us to put in the back string, put the spring on it, and then use the hook to tighten it. Then the same with the front string, put it in and then do it around the poti 3 times, then put the other end of the spring to the string and after that tighten it all up by putting the string around that roller thing next to the poti.

What I did was, I removed the mount of the poti and made sure, that the strings and spring stayed connected. If you then watch this, you can see that you could connect those, BEFORE you put the front string around the poti. You only have to make sure to turn the front string 3 times to the left. What you do then is to make sure the spring stays connected to the strings, while you put the front string around the poti as nicely as you can, already going around that roller thing. Then you make sure you can put the mount in place to be screwed down to the case. Fine adjustments can still be done at this point by pulling on the spring while turning the pedal.

Oh man this is difficult to explain ... Maybe you get the idea, that's all this post was about. Using this method it only took me 5 minutes to reassemble my pedal and it's perfect!

Because of the audio pot (logarithmic taper) it will never be as smooth as an expression pedal (linear taper).

Back
Top Bottom