Ernie Ball Vol Jr. Expression Pedal?

PRSfreak4

Power User
Random question, anyone using this expression pedal with the AX8?

The only reason I ask is because I tried to calibrate one for my church's AX8 a few weeks ago and could not get it to calibrate properly. Previously with the MFC-101 I remember you had to interact with the minimum and maximum values. The EXP pedal had a TRS cable and it was working fine automatically setting 0 and 0 but then only went up to about 60%. Once saved, the Volume (block) parameter only allowed the maximum volume to be at 60%.

Was it something I did or something I missed? Just curious if anyone else has tried these pedals out and successfully calibrated them with the AX8.

Thanks all, rock on!

EDIT: I did find this from a while ago but wanted to make sure:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax-8-price.105021/page-6#post-1256572

Random question, anyone using this expression pedal with the AX8?

The only reason I ask is because I tried to calibrate one for my church's AX8 a few weeks ago and could not get it to calibrate properly. Previously with the MFC-101 I remember you had to interact with the minimum and maximum values. The EXP pedal had a TRS cable and it was working fine automatically setting 0 and 0 but then only went up to about 60%. Once saved, the Volume (block) parameter only allowed the maximum volume to be at 60%.

Was it something I did or something I missed? Just curious if anyone else has tried these pedals out and successfully calibrated them with the AX8.

Thanks all, rock on!

EDIT: I did find this from a while ago but wanted to make sure:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax-8-price.105021/page-6#post-1256572
I don't have any direct experience with that pedal, but it looks as though the Pot. is too small. The AX8 won't calibrate to anything that doesn't span at least 75%.

I am using the EB VPjr 25k. It calibrates almost perfectly although the sweep is less than desirable. I use it for morphs and stuff other than volume. It works and feels great. I would use it for volume if I had to, it just requires an inverse log modifier curve to feel smoother.

If you have the version for passive pickups (250k), it may respond differently.

At some point in the near future I plan to replace the pot with a linear 100k and add a TRS jack.

I have used one for years with the Axe FX... they work ok and no they don't have a totally liner sweep but it is workable. I added mine to the AX8 and didn't calebrate it at all and it works with the Wah just fine. I don't use a volume pedal as much as I use the Volume knob on the guitar so I will have to try that when I get home.

I used one for a while with my AxeFX. The string broke on me one time too many, thank goodness never at a gig, so it's gone. The Fractal expression pedal is a million times better, IMO.

Unless you have moded the ernie ball jr pedal for use as a expression pedal I think you will have to use a insert cable, and have the correct ends plugged into the in and out on the pedal.

I had three of them connected to my MFC. I replaced the pots with 10K linear clarostat pots from mouser. Worked GREAT after that.

Except the string design is horrible and doomed to break. Can't believe no one else is running into this. The string kept breaking on mine an there is no quick for that at a gig.

I used one for years with my G-System. Eventually switched to a Mission. I tried it with my AX8 when I first got it. But just until I got a Mission.

In want to attend a church that buys ax8's

We were playing through a routed "back-stage" Dr Z and Hot Rod Deluxe, but human tendencies became really costly (tubes, leaving them on for days, heat overload). With the AX8, the majority of those human issues have been mitigated with the digital guitar revolution.

I think the EV-1 FAS pedal will be ideal. I bought 2 of these for the AX8 and have enjoyed them very much. Wanted to see what we could do with the VP jr. Thanks for the info all, love learning more about this stuff.

I am using the EB VPjr 25k. It calibrates almost perfectly although the sweep is less than desirable. I use it for morphs and stuff other than volume. It works and feels great. I would use it for volume if I had to, it just requires an inverse log modifier curve to feel smoother.

If you have the version for passive pickups (250k), it may respond differently.

At some point in the near future I plan to replace the pot with a linear 100k and add a TRS jack.
I am using VP JR 25 k. Can you explain inverse log modifier curve? Thanks.

I am using VP JR 25 k. Can you explain inverse log modifier curve? Thanks.

I didn’t do fantastic in math so I actually just meant a regular log scale, not inverse. What you want is an inverse of the VP Jr’s curve.

Twist knobs until your modifier curve looks like the red curve (the blue is a standard volume pedal curve that you are counteracting):

33125F40-186E-49F9-B061-2A499C44BE12.jpeg
Basically create a mid-hump towards the end of the curve, slowing the values down as they approach full toe-down.

I didn’t do fantastic in math so I actually just meant a regular log scale, not inverse. What you want is an inverse of the VP Jr’s curve.

Twist knobs until your modifier curve looks like the red curve (the blue is a standard volume pedal curve that you are counteracting):

View attachment 44334
Basically create a mid-hump towards the end of the curve, slowing the values down as they approach full toe-down.
Thanks very much. I will be trying this later today.

Back
Top Bottom