Ernie Ball Jr. calibration issue

rmbaylin

Inspired
I just bought an Ernie Ball Jr. pedal as an expression controller for my MFC101. I am having an issue getting the toe-down (max) to recognize anything more than 26. The toe-up (min) calibrates to 0. I want to use this pedal for volume level, and it just ramps way to fast at 0-26.

I have 2 Mission pedals that work fine, but I want more sweep for the volume control and the Ernie Ball has a nice stiff feel vs the missions.

Is there an issue using the Jr.? Or is there another calibration setting I am missing? I am using the same cable as the mission expression was using (TRS). I've calibrated the missions at 0-110, and they work fine.

RB

I've used a bunch of EBs with no issue. You might try swapping the cable(in my case reverse the white/orange leads). I hooked up a rocktron the other day and it likes the cables backwards from the EBs. Didnt try to figure out why-it was practice time and I didnt want to hold things up.

I use two EBJR's myself and never had a problem, I was actually able to plug in the pedal to my MFC without any calibration what so ever. Try swapping the TRS cable inputs.

I just bought an Ernie Ball Jr. pedal as an expression controller for my MFC101. I am having an issue getting the toe-down (max) to recognize anything more than 26. The toe-up (min) calibrates to 0. I want to use this pedal for volume level, and it just ramps way to fast at 0-26.

I have 2 Mission pedals that work fine, but I want more sweep for the volume control and the Ernie Ball has a nice stiff feel vs the missions.

Is there an issue using the Jr.? Or is there another calibration setting I am missing? I am using the same cable as the mission expression was using (TRS). I've calibrated the missions at 0-110, and they work fine.

RB

This same old question is well answered if you search this forum.

The fast part of the ramp is caused by the audio/logarithmic taper potentiometer used in the volume pedal. What you are using is a volume pedal not an expression pedal (which have linear potentiometers). Different people will disagree on how well these will or won't work and that often varies by applciation (e.g. controlling volume or a wah effect). Is also important to be clear what model Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal is being discussed - A 25k ohm pot version will calibrate much better than a 250k ohm version. For best behavior you need to replace the audio taper pot with a linear one (10k ohm being a good nominal value), this is something I've explained in detail here before, including a parts list, again, just search this forum.

Darryl

Back
Top Bottom