Eric Johnson Tone

yeah it's not a very bright preset...Eric's tone is very mid-rangy, and I believe he does not have his tone control all the way up...I have mine all the way up though setting this preset up.

I play darker tones on my Strat too. I prefer them over a long show. Way less ear fatigue and I can play louder too without sounding shrill or harsh. And it let's me use the bridge pickup of a Strat lol

Ok, download this thing and give it your best tweaking shot! I'm getting close...I can feel it!!!

Please upload your update so we can try it out...and write in what you changed. This was built in the Axe Fx II. The guitar I'm using is a '79 Strat with Lindy Fralins re-wound pickups...any strat with single coils is going to get close...

Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Dirty Rhythm (haven't really worked on it)
Scene 3 - Lead

Thanks for this bro...awesome!

Thanks guitartripp for sharing this preset. I commend anyone who attempts EJ's colorings.....we all know how he feels about his sound. Firstly many will never approach his virtuosity playing the instrument; second his collection and selection of equipment his signal chain follows is not only mind blowing but very expensive! Keep up the good work.

Thanks kelso1.......it's so nice to have members at your back.......! I found that the links were no longer ;-/ Anyone have these presets for axefxII??

Last edited:
That's a tough one I don't know if I would use a strat for creating Eric preset let's not forget the original studio recording of cliffs of Dover was done on an ES335

Back
Top Bottom