Eric Johnson Plexi Lead

SarasotaSwing

Experienced
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Plexi EJ Strat - by SarasotaSwing

My attempt at Eric Johnson’s lead tone. Optimized for the bridge pickup in my 24 ¾” scale Strat, which is a DiMarzio Virtual Solo (Lace Holy Grails in the neck and middle). It’s a medium output pickup, rated at 280 millivolts. Volume and tone are wide open, strings are pure nickel .09s. I used James Santiago’s Echoplex IR (posted on AxeChange and in User Cab slot 100), 4-knob Tube Driver, jumped 100-watt Plexi, and the mono tape delay. There are wah, 5-band passive EQ, and reverb blocks in there, but they’re all bypassed. The settings for the Tube Driver, delay and amp I got from various close up photos of his rig. I did not use a Marshall cab IR. Why? Because I hate them all. ;-) To my ears the high-end fizz is horrible, and I was looking for the smoothest highs possible, so I used my old standby, the 1x12 EV (Factory #8), which makes everything sound good. One important thing to note: my “studio” (a.k.a. the living room) has tile floors, very little on the walls, and leads directly into my large kitchen, which also has tile floors. Adjust the delay mix according to taste. I’m going FRFR into an RCF NX12-SMA.

Eric´s lead sound is the only one that I haven´t been able to replicate well with the axe. I don´t know why but something is always missing.

Will try your preset later.

Mr. Johnson reportedly utilizes a rubber band instead of a screw on his Fuzz Face. He reportedly claims that the screw adversely affected the tone. Can the Fractal simulate a rubber band encasement?

Also need to find a way simulate the effect of Fantastik (preferably, antibacterial) on the amp.

Eric's fingers?

I don´t think so. I can replicate his sound perfectly good with my amp and my Tube Driver. As the matter of fact when I bought the Tube Driver years ago it took me only 10 minutes to get the famous sound. It was right there in the box.

But with the Axe it eludes me. I got his clean, dirty rthymn, and Fuzz lead sound, but the one with the Tube Driver... :(

I don´t think so. I can replicate his sound perfectly good with my amp and my Tube Driver. As the matter of fact when I bought the Tube Driver years ago it took me only 10 minutes to get the famous sound. It was right there in the box.

But with the Axe it eludes me. I got his clean, dirty rthymn, and Fuzz lead sound, but the one with the Tube Driver... :(

Agreed and I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of a good EP3 preamp/Tape Delay combo or lack of a good Tube Driver. To my ears, it is the initial base tone out of the Plexi that is not quite there in the Axe...I haven't heard anyone cop that tone yet using the Axe.

How the hell did you do that? *LOL*
I started with the Cliffs of Dover Preset, then tone matched the lead solo passages from the introduction of the Total Electric Guitar instruction video. I used a USB cable. IMHO, my preset adds a nice quality to the Cliffs of Dover preset but it has a little boxiness to it, most likely due to the MP3 quality source of the sound. I'll keep plugging away at it and if I can get it a little less buggy, I will be happy to post it.

You need a single ply pick guard, and no shielding in your electronics cavity. Also it is imperative that your MFC and expression pedals aren't too close to each other on the floor - it messes with the tone.

Manhattan lead tone

Hi there. I´m André from Brazil and this is my first post. I read the forum a lot, but just now I´ve decided to post something and feel like finally I can contribute with something interesting (I guess).

I´ve done some work on Eric Johnson´s Manhattan lead tone and would like to share with you. I´m using a Fender Custom Shop (ash + rosewood) and for this mp3, I´ve used middle + bridge pick-ups.

Forgive my playing mistakes and my poor written english, please :D

This is the mp3: https://soundcloud.com/recifeshark/manhattan-lead

.syx is attached

Attachments

• EJ Manhattan Lead usb.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 164
I started with the Cliffs of Dover Preset, then tone matched the lead solo passages from the introduction of the Total Electric Guitar instruction video. I used a USB cable. IMHO, my preset adds a nice quality to the Cliffs of Dover preset but it has a little boxiness to it, most likely due to the MP3 quality source of the sound. I'll keep plugging away at it and if I can get it a little less buggy, I will be happy to post it.

Very interested - if you could please post it that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom