Eric Johnson makes me want to be a better guitar player

Can it keep up with a drummer though?

Depends on how loud your side fills are.

I just played an outdoor show with mine + conventional pedal board using a vintage Strat.

Drummer was playing a big Yamaha stage custom kit and big Zyldjian A cymbals and it was no problem getting loud enough. But we didn't have any drums in the monitors or side fills. Bass player used a 1x15 stage amp and the other guitar player used a Twin.

I had a 57 off axis on the Princeton and did have some guitar in the wedges but not much.

Depends on how loud your side fills are.

I just played an outdoor show with mine + conventional pedal board using a vintage Strat.

Drummer was playing a big Yamaha stage custom kit and big Zyldjian A cymbals and it was no problem getting loud enough. But we didn't have any drums in the monitors or side fills. Bass player used a 1x15 stage amp and the other guitar player used a Twin.

I had a 57 off axis on the Princeton and did have some guitar in the wedges but not much.
Ah. We don't play places where mic'ing amps is convenient or usually necessary. :D

Ah. We don't play places where mic'ing amps is convenient or usually necessary. :D

This was outdoors so everything was mic'ed. But even in our rehearsal space the Princeton holds it's own with the Twin.

I have a great Twin, Dual Showman and Blonde Bassman all vintage, but the Princeton is just a sweet spot of tone and portability.

I have loved his musicianship since that first floppy 45RPM in Guitar player, but when I've seen him the live tone didn't sound much like the amazing recordings.
I saw Eric play for about 30 people when he first started out...There is clear difference in his live tone, then and now. The Marshall's tend to get woofy for him sometimes because of all that volume. In the studio is completely controllable.
I did hear fender was working on an amp for him. Kind of like an EVH switchblade thing.
I saw him play with Mike Stern and his tone was much better since he was using a smaller rig...actually just a twin..
At one clinic, I noticed him check out one players AXE, but he wasn't having it...
His sound is such "in his hands" and the combo of gear he uses, probably going to be hard for one amp to get it right.
However, he would be a GREAT candidate to use an AXE live...He could still use all the hardware in the studio.
Stern would definitely be on board!

Back
Top Bottom