Eric Johnson Lead Tone (Patch Included)

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
I’m tracking some guitars for a song my buddy recorded for his parents, (Steve Miller’s “Something To Believe In”) it’s a really mellow version (more mellow than the original) and he told me to do whatever I wanted with it. I barely listened to the original as he said he doesn’t want it to be a cookie cutter version of that. An EJ-type solo is the first thing that popped in my head when I started tinkering with it and what good is an EJ-type of solo without an EJ-type of tone?

Still working on some small detail stuff and I’m going to add scenes for his clean and rhythm tones as well. I figure this might be useful for those of us without a single coil guitar. I thought for sure it’d be a pain in the ass to get close to this tone because of the Dimarzio Evolutions being as hot and mid-rangy as they are, but I pretty much just used everything in his actual rig and within about 10 minutes I had this tone going. I’m going to do some more work on it tonight and I’ll post the initial preset up.

Here's the patch as it is in that video in case anyone wants to do some tweaking on their own. Just keep in mind the difference in guitars/pickups. This may sound incredibly low regarding gain/balls if you've got a low output pickup. The Dimarzio Evolutions in my JEM are stupid high output and very pronounced midrange. For some reason, I can't log into the AxeExchange.

Attachments

• EJ Lead.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I’m tracking some guitars for a song my buddy recorded for his parents, (Steve Miller’s “Something To Believe In”) it’s a really mellow version (more mellow than the original) and he told me to do whatever I wanted with it. I barely listened to the original as he said he doesn’t want it to be a cookie cutter version of that. An EJ-type solo is the first thing that popped in my head when I started tinkering with it and what good is an EJ-type of solo without an EJ-type of tone?

Still working on some small detail stuff and I’m going to add scenes for his clean and rhythm tones as well. I figure this might be useful for those of us without a single coil guitar. I thought for sure it’d be a pain in the ass to get close to this tone because of the Dimarzio Evolutions being as hot and mid-rangy as they are, but I pretty much just used everything in his actual rig and within about 10 minutes I had this tone going. I’m going to do some more work on it tonight and I’ll post the initial preset up.

Sounds great , can't wait till you post final preset!

Thanks gents!

I think the thing that surprises me the most is the 'air' and bloom around the notes. Sure, there's some reverb on there, but it's that thing about EJ's tone that really separates him from other guitarists, I suppose.

I'm working on it now, then off to the shooting range with the wife, but after we get back I'll jump back on it. Here is is in the meantime-

Attachments

• EJ Lead.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
Hello RevDrucifer,
I think that your preset is exceptionally good. The tone is beautiful when you demonstrate it.

Thanks, man! That’s very kind of you to say!

Now that I’ve gotten the III under my fingers a bit more, I’ve been kind of all over the place as far as working on new sounds or getting back to work on my album. I’m spending a majority of the day in my studio and would like to work on completing the preset with his clean and rhythm tones, but I also really want to finish some tracking. We shall see.

Thanks again, man. That made my day!

Back
Top Bottom