Eric Johnson Clean & Lead Tones

I’m fairly new to the Fractal Family and I’ve had the FM3 for roughly a month now. I’ve been wanting to sound like EJ since I first learned to play guitar, so here is my humble attempt in getting EJ’s Clean & Lead live tones using the FM3. I think I’m pretty close, let me know what you guys think!

-LAG

Well, nice playing! I'd say you're in the ballpark but who cares if it sounds like EJ or not that's a really nice clean tone. In general, I think the OD tone is too heavy in the lower mids and you could stand to add some upper mids to get a more vocal quality.

I think the lead sound might need some more work (sounded too dark to my ears), but that Manhattan clean tone was incredible and so was the playing.
Yeah I agree, the more I tried to push the top end the more the tone lost its smooth edges...nonetheless I think it’s a good starting point.

-LAG

Nice job. Agree with the darkness comments about the overdrive, but I’d be very happy to have your tone.

FWIW, the darkness of this patch worked really well with my Headrush FRFRs. I've found that I have been needing to select fairly dark cab IRs for patches I intend to use with these, because they can sound pretty harsh with some. This patch actually worked very nicely right out of the box.

FWIW, the darkness of this patch worked really well with my Headrush FRFRs. I've found that I have been needing to select fairly dark cab IRs for patches I intend to use with these, because they can sound pretty harsh with some. This patch actually worked very nicely right out of the box.
Great to hear they work for you! It’s often that when you download someone else’s patches they don’t sound close to what you were expecting

Back
Top Bottom