Ergonomics of an Axe-Fx III at home

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I put my Helix on a cheapo plastic rolling drawers thing when I'm going to be doing a bunch of editing. (Like working on the unit itself, no computer.) Ends up about waist height, perfect for something that sits flat like the Helix.

What do folks do for III or other rack gear in a similar situation? I'd want it pointing up at me, and at a good height to see and operate the UI.

Hi Dave,
if you’re not going to move ir, one of those tilting studio racks is perfect.
thanks
pauly

Ideally, it'd go in a normal 3 or 4 or 5 space rack case or bag that'd be easy to transport, but I'd have some way to til and may be raise it up for home.

Just get a cheap tilt back amp stand and use it for your rack. You can adjust the height for sitting or standing, and the angle makes it ergonomic to work with....

that said, I ended up just putting my rack into a book case as I find Axe-Edit works so well

F1B0CC0C-84AB-4E04-A4CC-F22002A38308.png6B8AE7DE-44F1-4E8D-923C-08A15E38FC3C.png0BA38718-B506-419C-9ECC-3B288909D36B.jpeg

Just get a cheap tilt back amp stand and use it for your rack. You can adjust the height for sitting or standing, and the angle makes it ergonomic to work with....

that said, I ended up just putting my rack into a book case as I find Axe-Edit works so well

View attachment 60695View attachment 60696View attachment 60697
I still have the one I used in the '90s. Tough, adjustable, and folds up decently small. Not quite as small as the TV tray it replaced (which I believe us also still around), but the tilt was very handy for reading the front panels and helping convection airflow to let out the heat from the tubes....

I would not use the front panel unless I absolutely had too. Axe Edit is WAY WAY easier and faster to use, and a lot more pleasant as well. Especially for a home environment, having a laptop or desktop connected via usb within easy reach is by far the best way to go IMO.

I get that AxeEdit is better, I just want to be able to get around without it, and also the ergonomics in my little space aren't great.

Front panel isn't that bad actually so far. They are some things I haven't figured out if there's a way to do, like reorder, copy, or delete scenes, and some things that ARE awful, like picking from huge lists of IRs or amps, but otherwise it's not terrible. It's not Helix level good, but it's well thought out, logical, and you can mostly do what I need to do.

Back
Top Bottom