equivalent of a "mix" parameter on the Speaker Impedance Curve?

Cainer

Experienced
I'm dialing in tones and the one thing that seems to make an enormous difference in the tone is the Speaker Impedance Curve (SIC) in the Amp block. I'm finding in my blackface Fender patches that at gig-volume it ends up giving me some harshness and over-hypes the 2-2.5kHz range that I then have to try to tame with EQ or a multiband compressor. I tried just going with the null/load-box curves, which actually seems to get me closer to where I want than using the model-appropriate SIC - just wondering if there's a way to adjust the "mix" of the SIC so I can get some of what it does but quite not so much. Is there a "mix" on this somehow?

I guess my other option is just to adjust the SIC parameters manually but haven't had much luck specifically targeting the problem frequencies that way.

I did see this in the known issues for the current FM9 firmware, so it's possible it'll be a slightly different ball-game after the next patch release:
"-The AMP effect speaker impedance graph uses a different calculation than the Axe FX III."

cheers y'all

You could run two amp blocks in parallel, set their impedance curves to the ones you want, and then use a MIX block to adjust the relative levels.

I think the speaker impedance knob and/or xformer match do exactly that.
Otherwise just cut in half the value of low and hi resonance and cab resonance.

I LOVE this parameter! When I use it, I do one of two things.

1- match it as close as I can to the IR I am using (for authenticity).

2- Dial my tone to where I am mostly happy then flip through the options to get me that last little bit, especially while in a mix to get the guitar to sit or poke out that last little intangible bit.

+1 - I find a lot of the stock SIC curves extreme so have been dividing lo/hi rez by 2 and resetting - would be great to have one knob that brings the whole SIC down gradually while maintaining it's preportions.

+1 - I find a lot of the stock SIC curves extreme so have been dividing lo/hi rez by 2 and resetting - would be great to have one knob that brings the whole SIC down gradually while maintaining it's preportions.
yeah at least on the fenders it seems extreme - on the Marshall (well the Plexi at least) it doesn't seem to get quite as snappy and harsh. I've ended up so far just rolling down the high Freq entirely which helps. I need to get myself into a better room than my kitchen now to properly fine tune this thing lol

I did see this in the known issues for the current FM9 firmware, so it's possible it'll be a slightly different ball-game after the next patch release:
"-The AMP effect speaker impedance graph uses a different calculation than the Axe FX III."
As far as I'm aware that's just a display issue...

Back
Top Bottom