• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Equator/Yamaha/Adam

jw3571

Inspired
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some monitors. I play in a basement with the speakers around 8 feet away from. I still haven't decided if I should 5 inch, 7 inch, or 8 inch, but think i've narrowed it down the Equator D5/D8, Adam A5x/A7x, or Yamaha HS5/HS8. Any in put on which I should go with. I don't play super loud but want a great full and clear sound. Opinions.

Ben Randolph

Power User
I have my Equator D8s for about 2 years now. Fabulous performance for the money. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

79_limited

Experienced
Any of those are fine choices. I had the Equartor D5 and it had a wide sweet spot but the low end was a bit flubby. The D8's I hear are better.

TieDyedDevil

Inspired
If you can find someplace to audition all the monitors in which you're interested, please do so.

I suspect that all of the mentioned brands and models are quite good. But it's almost certain that you'll have a clear preference once you hear them all.

I use a pair of the HS5s as my computer monitors; I like them very much. I chose the HS5s after listening to a half-dozen diffferent monitors on the same program material. I doubt that there's much difference on paper, but there were clear differences in the listening test.

AZG

Inspired
I'm currently demoing the new and improved D8's and Focal Alpha 80's. I need more time to compare, but so far I think the Focal's sound more 3D and clear and have a LOT more bass. I had the Alpha 65's before the 80's and might have preferred them overall minus the buzzing defect I had, bass might be over powering for some rooms with the 80s. I preferred the Focal's to the Adam's side by side.

jw3571

Inspired
Oh great, lol now you've thrown another contender in, the Focal's. I hadn't even heard about those on here.

Ben Randolph

Power User
If it was my only set of monitors, and my sole source of amplifying the AxeFX, I'd go for 8 inch drivers without question.

Whistler

Inspired
I'm another Focal 80 user. I auditioned about 15 different monitors including the Adam's. I also had never heard of them. Best all rounder in my audition experience.

TieDyedDevil

Inspired
Since we're muddying the waters: I can vouch for the Genelec 8040s. They're pricey, but very nice. I use them in my "studio".

Pwrmac7600

Power User
I used the Yamaha hs5's for quite a few years. They were good, but the low end was lacking. I just upgraded to Adam A7x's and I love them. They gave me everything that I though was lacking in the Yamahas plus a ton more. Highly recommend the Adam's.

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
I have equator d5, they do nothing for my compared to my evlive x pa's x 2 that sit about 10 feet away.

jw3571

Inspired
I'm still having a hard time deciding, i'm wondering if the Alpha 80's are overkill for my smaller room. Would I be better of going with the Alpha 65's or the Adam A5x? They are around the same price.

AZG

Inspired
I'm still having a hard time deciding, i'm wondering if the Alpha 80's are overkill for my smaller room. Would I be better of going with the Alpha 65's or the Adam A5x? They are around the same price.
I will warn you that the Alpha 80's have a lot of bass for a small untreated room. I thought the 65's sounded great in my larger untreated room, but mine both buzzed/rattled at certain frequencies (hopefully Focal has fixed this issue) so I got the 80's which don't have that issue. The 80's sound similar but fuller with much deeper bass which can be a problem in an untreated room. The 80's have me considering bass traps.

Top Bottom