Equator D8s?

Sean Ashe

Power User
I've been researching some studio monitors as I'm looking to invest in a new pair soon, and they caught my attention. Has anyone used them and what are your thoughts? I'm trying to get a new main pair of speakers for mixing etc.

I've been researching some studio monitors as I'm looking to invest in a new pair soon, and they caught my attention. Has anyone used them and what are your thoughts? I'm trying to get a new main pair of speakers for mixing etc.

I haven't personally used them but I know that some of the guys here use them and like them a lot.

I have the D5's and love them.

I bought them after going to going to my friendly local music mega mart and being thoroughly unimpressed with every set of monitors I could find for under $800 a pair. The ADAM A7X's sounded great but were a big price jump over the lower end stuff. Then I found some reviews for the D5's online and figured they were so much less that it'd be dumb to not at least try them out.

I'd love up to upgrade my D5's to D8's sometime soon....

People whose ears I trust say the D5's are the best bang for the buck out there right now.

I would guess the D8's would not disappoint!

Agreed. I have 5's and love, but need a sub. d8's should have a little more in that area and be a great option for you!

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Seems that mostly everyone is a fan of the speakers :) Will probably be picking them up

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Seems that mostly everyone is a fan of the speakers :) Will probably be picking them up

HI Sean, can I suggest to take a look to the Auralex MOpad ?? Very usefull tools to isolate your monitors from the desk avoiding undesired resonances ... Not too much expensive if you go for the D8 monitors...
I don't know much about them unless the great feedback from some forum fellow ...
Testing for testing , some Event like the 20/20 are beast too

HI Sean, can I suggest to take a look to the Auralex MOpad ?? Very usefull tools to isolate your monitors from the desk avoiding undesired resonances ... Not too much expensive if you go for the D8 monitors...
I don't know much about them unless the great feedback from some forum fellow ...
Testing for testing , some Event like the 20/20 are beast too

Cool! I have some foam now but it's not proper speaker isolation. I heard good things about the 20/20s as well

Don't buy the Auralex Mopads. Equator sells isolation pads with the D5, and they are cut to exact size of the D5, and are much cheaper than the Mopads.

I have a pair now. Just got them a month ago. I have a pair of high-end Genelec's, which I love, but they have pathetic low end (6.5" drivers), and I needed something beefier.

For the money, the D8's are AMAZING! Focused. Tight. Revealing.

However, I have not mixed enough with them enough to know if my mixes will translate well. Early evaluation was promising enough that I decided to keep them after sending back several others I'd auditioned (including twice-as-expensive Sonodynes).

I find them a little 'mid-forward', which is great for finding flaws and hearing problems, but makes them a little 'grainer' and more fatiguing than my Gennie's - which are amazingly un-fatiguing speakers to listen to, but also cost 4 times as much.

All in all, I am very pleased - as I say, for the money they are almost unbelievably good.

Oh, also: great customer service. One of my speaks came out of the box with a pretty unsightly large ding on the front (dunno how they missed it!). I emailed 'em, and they immediately sent me a (pristine and 'ding-less') replacement along with a prepaid shipping return label. Classy.

That is great to hear they have great customer service! and also good to hear you like them. I'm going to be upgrading from a pair of KRK Rockit 6s (im not a fan at all of them) so it sounds like the D8s will be a very good leap forward. Thanks everyone :)

How about the D8?

Equator also sells isolation pads for the D8. Also much cheaper than Mopads!

Also, I have to say that Equator has amazing customer service. About 6 months after I bought my D5s, one of them starting bevahing strangely. I e-mailed Equator, and within days I had a replacement speaker at my door, with free shipping, and they sent me a UPS label and packing materials to send my defective speaker back to them, also for free. I didn't have to spend an extra dime to get a replacement speaker. Never had any problems since. They're a great bunch of people to work with!

Anyone have experience with the Equator D8s and the Mackie DLM8s? The Mackie's appeal to me for all the added features they have and that they are designed to be a portable rig, but I'm guessing that the Equators are a better sounding speaker. I can't decide which to get. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have only heard great things about that brand, a friend of mine that is a trully gifted luthier and recording and mixing engineer in Canada uses them and he is truly pleased with the mixes he achieves with them, I blindly trust his opinion.

Back
Top Bottom