EQ Question...

guitartripp

Inspired
Using a 7 band eq...any way to get a boost up/down to 18/-18db? Is the current setup a db value or something else?

Stack 2 EQs... boost +/-9 in each...

-or-

Boost/Cut Freq all the way (let's say +/- 15) and add subtract +/- 3 the remainder of the freqs and use level control to compensate.

Chris, the 7 band eq is a selection available in the GEQ. CrunchyBob...I never thought of stacking them...would tone change from using a straight boost vs stacking two to get the same thing? I'm assuming not, being that this is the digital realm, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Last edited:
Chris, the 7 band eq is a selection available in the GEQ.

yes, but are you referring to the EQ in the Amp block, or a GEQ block?

and i was confused as to what this meant: "Is the current setup a db value or something else?"

GEQ. Well, the adjustments can be determined by many different values; db, dbm, dbv, they can be a proprietary value, etc...just want to know exactly what it is as I'm trying to do some tone matching.

All EQs are +/- 12 dB. A dB is the ratio of two powers and a convenient unit as human perception is logarithmic. One would not use a unit like dBm as that is an absolute measure of power and not relevant to the function an EQ performs.

"Stacking" EQs is really not the same thing as a single EQ with more boost/cut. Whenever you put two 2nd-order filters in series you create a 4th-order filter. It will work but it's not exactly the same.

Boosting one band and cutting all the others is also not the same thing. This will cause ripple in the "passband".

All EQs are +/- 12 dB. A dB is the ratio of two powers and a convenient unit as human perception is logarithmic. One would not use a unit like dBm as that is an absolute measure of power and not relevant to the function an EQ performs.

"Stacking" EQs is really not the same thing as a single EQ with more boost/cut. Whenever you put two 2nd-order filters in series you create a 4th-order filter. It will work but it's not exactly the same.

Boosting one band and cutting all the others is also not the same thing. This will cause ripple in the "passband".

Meet Cliff:

Fluent in Swahili and Ancient Greek.

All EQs are +/- 12 dB...

..."Stacking" EQs is really not the same thing as a single EQ with more boost/cut. Whenever you put two 2nd-order filters in series you create a 4th-order filter. It will work but it's not exactly the same.

Thanks for the explaination. I remember something about the Beatles wanting 'More Treble' and the engineer would stack channels on the board, amongst other infractions against the rules of the studio. 8)

AKA the time-space continuum, or crossing the streams in ghostbusters.

Or, the 'branes' of the Multiverse crashing into each other creating futher Universes...:saturn:

Back
Top Bottom