EQ opinions....

steve_k

Inspired
Probably a noob question, but....is there much, if any difference in using a GEQ block or using the 9 band EQ on the amp tabs? I guess the GEQ block would allow you to set it on or bypassed in a preset. But, other than that is there much advantage of one over the other. If using the block, where is the optimal place to put it in the signal chain?

Also, the PEQ, I assume the optimal position is between the amp and cab block?

I am running direct to RCF active monitors and to the FOH. No cabs or power amp. I am trying to get a few high gain presets EQ'd up and am obsessing on them sounding right through the FRFR's and hoping the EQ comes across well in the FOH without being too scooped in the FOH mix.

Thanks,
Steve

One advantage I can think of to using the EQ within the amp block is that the amp blocks use one processor while the effects use the other. This way you aren't using the effects processor for your EQ and have that little bit extra CPU in case you are using a lot of effects. Since the amps are always dedicated to one processor your overall CPU headroom is pretty much determined by what effects you are using. Also, in my case, for most hi-gain sounds I prefer the EQ after the preamp, so it's already located where I want it for most things. Even then I don't use very drastic settings and like to keep it very subtle.

I have experimented with a PEQ before the amp as well, but I always get it dialed in to where I think it 'works' and when I bypass it I find I generally prefer it out. In general I find that I don't use as much EQ with the II as I did with my Ultra. The one exception I can think of is with the Mark Series Mesa amps which don't sound that great without the EQ in the real world.

I use 2 GEQ's and a PEQ in my presets..

GEQ1 is for the riff tone
GEQ2 is for the soloing tone

when I switch between riff and solo mode, GEQ1 mutes and GEQ2 activates..
the EQ shapes in these two blocks are slightly different..
and the level on GEQ2 also provides a 4.5dB boost to make my soloing tone sit up..
from a config and control angle, this solution is highly flexible

and it means that any EQ done in the amp blocks is left alone..
so it's easier to deal with the GEQ blocks in the event that a new fw drop means I have to make some general EQ changes

the PEQ block is used to boost the low and high bands when I morph my dirty tones to clean
the PEQ works well hear because it's more 'tunable' to the tone

I've been experimenting with Amp X/Y switching lately, and I have a switch set up on my Liquid Foot Pro to change between X and Y. Any changes I do to EQ within either Amp X or Amp Y will follow my switching, whereas any settings in an external block will not. Generally, I want my EQ changes to move with Amp X or Amp Y.

Scenes provide a new and different way to handle all of the above.

Terry.

I use 2 GEQ's and a PEQ in my presets..

GEQ1 is for the riff tone
GEQ2 is for the soloing tone

when I switch between riff and solo mode, GEQ1 mutes and GEQ2 activates..
the EQ shapes in these two blocks are slightly different..
and the level on GEQ2 also provides a 4.5dB boost to make my soloing tone sit up..
from a config and control angle, this solution is highly flexible

and it means that any EQ done in the amp blocks is left alone..
so it's easier to deal with the GEQ blocks in the event that a new fw drop means I have to make some general EQ changes

the PEQ block is used to boost the low and high bands when I morph my dirty tones to clean
the PEQ works well hear because it's more 'tunable' to the tone

Thanks for the info. Where do you normally run the 2 - GEQ's and PEQ in the chain?

Probably a noob question, but....is there much, if any difference in using a GEQ block or using the 9 band EQ on the amp tabs? I guess the GEQ block would allow you to set it on or bypassed in a preset. But, other than that is there much advantage of one over the other. If using the block, where is the optimal place to put it in the signal chain?

Also, the PEQ, I assume the optimal position is between the amp and cab block?

I am running direct to RCF active monitors and to the FOH. No cabs or power amp. I am trying to get a few high gain presets EQ'd up and am obsessing on them sounding right through the FRFR's and hoping the EQ comes across well in the FOH without being too scooped in the FOH mix.

Thanks,
Steve

Using and EQ before the amp and and EQ post amp lets you create sounds like:

- use the pre EQ to cut the low end and jack the high end, then do the opposite post, add lows and cut highs

In general the pre eq will affect the amp tone and the post eq will create the frequencies you want for the track.

Richard

Thanks for the info. Where do you normally run the 2 - GEQ's and PEQ in the chain?

here's a typical layout of mine

note the two GEQ blocks at the end
the one in row1 is for soloing
the one in row2 is for riffing / rhythm

RiffSolo1St1.jpg

here's a typical layout of mine

note the two GEQ blocks at the end
the one in row1 is for soloing
the one in row2 is for riffing / rhythm

RiffSolo1St1.jpg

Yeah, I saw that on the link. I've got things dialed up well on the IIC+ using the PEQ between the amp and cab blocks. I did also try a GEQ behind it, but got this peculiar nasally thing going on when run together. I'm pretty happy with the layout I have now and the tone. I actually have a real IIC+ head. If I weren't so lazy now, I would set up for a tone match. But, this is close enough for me.

Steve

the nasal thing will be the two EQ types fighting with each other...

note that my PEQ has a very specific job to do when I'm tone morphing

and the GEQ blocks are for overall EQ for each operating mode that the preset has..

the nasal thing will be the two EQ types fighting with each other...

note that my PEQ has a very specific job to do when I'm tone morphing

and the GEQ blocks are for overall EQ for each operating mode that the preset has..

Yeah, I see what you are doing and thanks for the explanation. I'm not there yet on peeling back the layers of this onion. But, really content with what I have accomplished up to this point with the amp presets. Just got my Mission pedals and my interface in, so just bit of re-rigging to do and setting up the MFC. The Axe will be gigging this weekend. So looking forward to the DI and leaving the 2-412's behind.....

Steve

Back
Top Bottom