EQ High Hat and Cymbals out of drummers head set mic. How?

Less gain on the mics so it will pick up less noise, place the mics closer, and use a very directional mic, and do a hi cut from about 4k...usually cymbals will be in the upper frequency ranges, but 4k cut and above will help cut out all that high cymbal noise without affecting his vocals too much, unless his styles is super airy.....but for male vocals it should be more than fine for monitoring

+1 on less gain, tell the drummer to sing like he plays. A small amount of cymbal in the mic should not be to much of problem unless you are recording live.

Unless he's singing really lightly/quietly, a noise gate will get rid of all that. First thing I do when I get drum tracks is put noise gates on the kick, toms and snare so I can isolate the pieces better. Rarely does a noise gate not do the job quickly.

The first thing to do is to make sure he's eating the microphone. Place it so it's practically touching his lips. The second thing to do is to make sure he's singing as loudly as he possibly can. Also make sure that his microphone is not omnidirectional. Try cutting above 4 kilohertz. You can try a gate or downward expander, but even with a side chain it will be hard to eliminate drums without chopping off some of his vocal signal if he's a heavy hitter.

If he's using a mic on a stand they have this handy infrared mic gate, works on distance from the mic. You can set the distance from the mic before its active, swing the mic out of the way and it shuts off. Wouldn't mind having these for all the vocal mics aside from the lead singer. Would also help from everyones vocal mics picking up the symbols all the time.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 10.31.17 PM.png

http://www.optogatesolutions.com

Back
Top Bottom