EQ Choices

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I have a question about the extra EQ choices available within the amp block.
Are they before the preamp, between the preamp and the power amp, or after the power amp?

Do you prefer using the extra EQs available within the amp block, or adding a graphic EQ block, or a parametric EQ block to your effects chain?

If you prefer adding an EQ block, which type of EQ do you prefer, and where do you prefer adding it; before the amp; between the amp and cab; or after the cab, and why?

As stated above, my understanding is the GEQ in the amp block is at the end of the chain, so it would be the same as adding an EQ block after the amp block. Until a few months ago, I always assumed it was between the preamp and poweramp (in 'the loop'), because of its placement in the pages of axe-edit (after the preamp page, before the poweramp pages).

Personally I don't use it that much, apart from with the USA Lead and USA IIC+ models, where its pretty much mandatory.

As for other EQ uses, I like to use the Parametric EQ before the amp as a boost sometimes, adding volume as well as boosting treble and cutting bass. The advantages of Pre-eq are explained much better by cliff in the 'Tech notes' section of the forum. I also sometimes use the Parametric EQ after the cab block if there is fizz coming from the IR that I want to cut out. I try to avoid big changes using post-eq, and try to get everything sounding as right as possible with the amps basic EQ before adding anything else in.

Thanks for the tips! I have been mainly choosing the best sounding IR for the amp then dialing in the basic amp knobs. After that I'd use the EQ section within the amp block to fine tune the sound if needed.

Last night I finally tried adding a graphic EQ after the cab block instead (and not using the added EQ section in the amp block), and I liked it better. So then I tried switching to a para EQ block after the cab block and I liked that also. I haven't decided which I like best yet. Both sounded good.

I'll go read Cliff's Tech Notes on Pre-EQ and try that as well.

Back
Top Bottom