EQ...Attempting to Create a List of All the EQ Options

Paultergeist

Inspired
Greetings,
I have been looking on the forum for something that addresses my questions, and I just cannot find anything. I am going to start my own list of observations and questions, hoping that others with more knowledge will chime-in and offer some clarification. I am grateful for any insights.

Within the AX8 Edit software application:

1. SETUP EQ. Selecting the "Setup" button brings up a 10-band EQ.
a. I remain uncertain as to where / how in the signal chain this EQ inserts itself?
b. There is a "Gain" slider option incorporated into this EQ -- where / how does this gain interact with the amp setting (which may also have a gain control)?
c. There are also two (2) "Out" selections -- "Out 1" and "Out 2." Is this the Left and Right channels?

2. AMP EQ. Bringing up an amp block also brings up the associated EQ controls normally found on that amp (Treble, Bass, Mids, etc). Within the amp block, however, AX8 Edit also presents a GEQ options -- this can allow the user to select a variety of options between 3-to-8-band EQ, along with "Post PA" and "Pre PA."
a. How do these two forms of EQ in the amp block (amp controls vs. GEQ) interact with each other?
b. What is the significance of the Pre- vs. Post- PA EQ?

3. CAB BLOCK. I have now read a number of forum posts discussing EQ at / within the "cab block." I do not see a lot of EQ options within the cab block itself.
a. With respect to EQ-ing at the cab block, are people typically referring to the "High Cut" and "Low Cut" options within the cab block?
b. If -- for example -- High Cut is turned all the way up (maxed-out), does that imply maximum amount of high frequencies being eliminated, or maximum amount of high-frequencies getting through?

4. EQ AT EFFECTS BLOCKS. This -- for me at least -- is kind of self-explanatory: Parametric and / or Graphic EQ, placed as per user specification in the signal chain by inserting a block. I am just listing it here for continuity sake.

I realize this is a lot of questions, but I will appreciate any help I can get here. I read much about the importance of EQ, but I really do not understand how all these EQ forms and options fit together in the AX8. Thanks for any help.

1. SETUP EQ. Selecting the "Setup" button brings up a 10-band EQ.
a. I remain uncertain as to where / how in the signal chain this EQ inserts itself?

After the output of the grid.

b. There is a "Gain" slider option incorporated into this EQ -- where / how does this gain interact with the amp setting (which may also have a gain control)?

LEVEL in the Amp block (or in any block) sets the overall level of the digital signal, at that position in the routing. LEVEL in the Global EQ does the same, at the very end of the digital routing.

c. There are also two (2) "Out" selections -- "Out 1" and "Out 2." Is this the Left and Right channels?

No, those regard to the physical Output 1 and 2 ports.

2. AMP EQ. Bringing up an amp block also brings up the associated EQ controls normally found on that amp (Treble, Bass, Mids, etc). Within the amp block, however, AX8 Edit also presents a GEQ options -- this can allow the user to select a variety of options between 3-to-8-band EQ, along with "Post PA" and "Pre PA."
a. How do these two forms of EQ in the amp block (amp controls vs. GEQ) interact with each other?
b. What is the significance of the Pre- vs. Post- PA EQ?

BMT is the "tone stack". Every amp has one.
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block#BASS_.2B_MID_.2B_TREBLE

The graphic EQ is based on the GEQ in MESA Mark series amps, and is available in any amp model. It's up to you whether you want to use the GEQ and where you want to put it.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block#Output_EQ_page

3. CAB BLOCK. I have now read a number of forum posts discussing EQ at / within the "cab block." I do not see a lot of EQ options within the cab block itself.
a. With respect to EQ-ing at the cab block, are people typically referring to the "High Cut" and "Low Cut" options within the cab block?

Yes.

Also, the Cab block has preamp modeling, which provides BMT controls.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Cab_block#Preamp_simulation

b. If -- for example -- High Cut is turned all the way up (maxed-out), does that imply maximum amount of high frequencies being eliminated, or maximum amount of high-frequencies getting through?

Just listen. :)

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block#PRESENCE_.2B_HIGH_CUT

Yek,

This information is great -- exactly what I needed. I will do some more reading through these pages, as most of my questions seem to be addressed.

Thank you very much.

Greetings everyone,

I think I have made some real progress in the last few weeks with my AX8, and I would like to push myself to explore the use of graphic EQ and parametric EQ blocks within a couple of Pre-sets which I am trying to create for myself. I realize that there are no wrong answers to -- for instance -- how many EQ blocks one could use, or exactly where in the signal chain to insert those EQ blocks. I am, however, a beginner in these matters, and I would really appreciate some initial starting-off points. Are there any widely-accepted recommendations regarding number, type, and placement of EQs in the signal chain?

I am thinking maybe one EQ before the amp input? Maybe a second somewhere downstream of the amp (or even cab)?

I don't know if there are general recommendations for such matters; suggestions are most appreciated.

Greetings everyone,

I think I have made some real progress in the last few weeks with my AX8, and I would like to push myself to explore the use of graphic EQ and parametric EQ blocks within a couple of Pre-sets which I am trying to create for myself. I realize that there are no wrong answers to -- for instance -- how many EQ blocks one could use, or exactly where in the signal chain to insert those EQ blocks. I am, however, a beginner in these matters, and I would really appreciate some initial starting-off points. Are there any widely-accepted recommendations regarding number, type, and placement of EQs in the signal chain?

I am thinking maybe one EQ before the amp input? Maybe a second somewhere downstream of the amp (or even cab)?

I don't know if there are general recommendations for such matters; suggestions are most appreciated.
To do what?

I think I am looking for a good, over-all starting point for incorporating EQ in my Pre-sets in order to:

(a) make my guitar more-prominently heard in the context of the band mix
(b) effect the tone based on my preferences
(c) curtail / eliminate unwanted peaks of frequencies that muddy the sound in the mix.

I have been told or read that EQ is a worthwhile approach towards improvement on these matters [especially point (a)] -- am I incorrect?

I think I am looking for a good, over-all starting point for incorporating EQ in my Pre-sets in order to:

(c) curtail / eliminate unwanted peaks of frequencies that muddy the sound in the mix.

I have been told or read that EQ is a worthwhile approach towards improvement on these matters [especially point (a)] -- am I incorrect?
if you want to adjust frequencies, then yes, EQ is the right thing to do.

I encourage you to learn as much as you can about EQ to understand the effect it has before the amp block, certainly inside the amp block (BMT & GEQ) and after the the amp or cab. I suggest reading the thread in the Tech Notes started by Cliff about the power of EQ. In it he walks thru setting up a filter block to give a mid boost before the amp block. It’s a great exercise and a really good thread.

Back
Top Bottom