EQ and filters settings for live presets

When using a cab block it is emulating that cab and mic so I'm just curious why we would need any filtering before sending it to the sound guy? I'm not arguing I just don't understand it.

Usually it's to fix excessive highs and lows due to tweaking your preset at low volume.
If you build your preset from scratch at gig volume, it usually isn't needed as much.

Most FOH engineers would cut anyway just to fit you in the mix, that is the main reason I have cuts on my patches; to make my presets as 'mix ready' as possible as sometimes the FOH person isn't a real "engineer", so I want to control my tone as much as possible.

Usually it's to fix excessive highs and lows due to tweaking your preset at low volume.
If you build your preset from scratch at gig volume, it usually isn't needed as much.

Most FOH engineers would cut anyway just to fit you in the mix, that is the main reason I have cuts on my patches; to make my presets as 'mix ready' as possible as sometimes the FOH person isn't a real "engineer", so I want to control my tone as much as possible.

Ok this makes sense! Thanks!

i don't use any eq or filtering in my presets at all. but i do use the global eq to fine tune to whatever pa i'm playing through. every pa is different. when we were using a pair of mackie towers, i had to remove some top and bottom, but now we're using some fbt vertus arrays and subs, my eq is flat. i'll usually make a cut from 4k and above if we're using a cheap-o pa, because they tend to sound extremely harsh and are pimped for vocals. so what i'm saying is, there isn't a rule of thumb you can apply. use the global eq to compensate for a crappy pa and save yourself loads of time adjusting every preset you use.

Simeon, Found that if I use a low pass filter at around 2200 Hz my high gain presets sound great through an FRFR. Without it it's horrible (ice-pick pain). When I try JUST using the global EQ to pull out the highs I can't get anything that sounds as good as using the low pass filter. I agree with you and don't want to add another block to all my presets. Plus I like the idea of EQing a room or different PAs, but so far I can't find global EQ settings that sound as good. Any ideas/suggestions? Which frequencies do you focus on? Thanks man!

just replicate the curve. start with a gentle cut at 2k and then go progressively deeper with each slider until you're down to zero at 16k

i just normally cut 4k by 2-3db and 8k by 5-6db, but only on the outs that go to the pa. my frfr monitors don't need it

if you're monitoring through crappy stage monitors designed for vocals, you may have to cut more

just replicate the curve. start with a gentle cut at 2k and then go progressively deeper with each slider until you're down to zero at 16k

i just normally cut 4k by 2-3db and 8k by 5-6db, but only on the outs that go to the pa. my frfr monitors don't need it

if you're monitoring through crappy stage monitors designed for vocals, you may have to cut more

Thanks man! I'm an EQ novice. Have always gone with if it sounds good it's good, but using a modeler has forced me to gain a better understanding of frequencies. Too many variables now. Thanks very much for the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom