EQ and filters settings for live presets

johnson84

Hey,

I am quite new axe fx II owner. Soon I will have a chance to play on it on stage.
I created few DualRecto presets, which sounds well for me at home and wondering about their live tone. I will not use any real cab on stage, just connect directly for mixer and front speakers. Few days ago I had chance for a moment to connect my axe to some kind of mixer and speakers which are used on gigs. I used my home made presets, they sound quite ok, but I heard some "shit" stuff in high range. I tried reduce input gain and treble, but it won't very helpful. Later on I heard that some people are using EQ and low pass filter to cut off useless high range and boost tone a little bit in low and mid range (like in production mix).
Do you have any recommendation for low pass filter/eq settings in preset ? Basically I just wonder how much should I cut from high (above 10 kHz or 8 kHz ?). And where to put filter in effect chain (before amp or after cabinet directly before output ?). Could You please give me some advices if have any experience with it.

Thanks in advance.

Cut in CAB block, for high gain I use 7khz hi cut, 120hz lo cut!

I cut at 12 kHz cause I've read somewhere that there are some nice harmonics above 7 kHz (above the guitar cab range) which are audible even when playing through a guitar cab. That sounds for me better than cutting already at 7 k, but I play at a moderate volume level.

Oh, I found that 12khz is too spikey as a cut at high volumes. For solos it becomes deafening. Anyway, please remember that the CAB block cut is not a brickwall, but a gentle slope.

i don't use any eq or filtering in my presets at all. but i do use the global eq to fine tune to whatever pa i'm playing through. every pa is different. when we were using a pair of mackie towers, i had to remove some top and bottom, but now we're using some fbt vertus arrays and subs, my eq is flat. i'll usually make a cut from 4k and above if we're using a cheap-o pa, because they tend to sound extremely harsh and are pimped for vocals. so what i'm saying is, there isn't a rule of thumb you can apply. use the global eq to compensate for a crappy pa and save yourself loads of time adjusting every preset you use.

i don't use any eq or filtering in my presets at all. but i do use the global eq to fine tune to whatever pa i'm playing through. every pa is different. when we were using a pair of mackie towers, i had to remove some top and bottom, but now we're using some fbt vertus arrays and subs, my eq is flat. i'll usually make a cut from 4k and above if we're using a cheap-o pa, because they tend to sound extremely harsh and are pimped for vocals. so what i'm saying is, there isn't a rule of thumb you can apply. use the global eq to compensate for a crappy pa and save yourself loads of time adjusting every preset you use.

Or use a "global block" PEQ or GEQ.

I applied Param EQ (cut low below 100Hz, cut high above 8kHz) it sound ok in FOH (direct XLR connection) I tried it on stage 2 days ago. but on cab + power amp I hear to much treble. I use the same preset but without cab simulation. Do i need to change anything in equalization when using real cab ?

Last edited:
I use a filter block set to 4th order and block everything under 120hz. The low cut in the cab block or PEQ block are not step enough. I then use a PEQ block to add high mids, 2-3db at 3200hz, low Q. After that, I add some highs (1-2db). I would never use a high cut unless something was really wrong, most guitars need some air.

Last edited:
I use a PEQ Block at the end of the whole chain: cut every freq over 6500 Hz and under 85-100 Hz (it depends from the preset).

Ok, i tried de-phase and i helps a little bit.
I have one more question about XLR/Lift switch and I/O settings. I use output 1->FOH and output 2->power amp + cab.
In which position should I put switcher when connect xlr cable to FOH ? Should I perform different settings in Axe I/O for both outputs ?

Really useful thread this. Can anyone tell me if there is any way of not losing the stereo spread when you put PEQ after a stereo cab block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How come everyone is using a high and low cut on the main outs? When micing a real amp and cab it goes right to front of house with no eq other than what the sound man does.

When using a cab block it is emulating that cab and mic so I'm just curious why we would need any filtering before sending it to the sound guy? I'm not arguing I just don't understand it.

I only cut the lows in the cab block. I have always put a low cut at the FOH mixer anyway. The highs, I tame in the preset itself.

Today I played live at a pro venue (using Quantum+MFC+2 exp pedals), didn't use filters or post eqs, just dialed down a bit of the bass in the amp, 80low cut and 13000 hicut on the cab. Finally the global EQ had some mild cut in lows and highs. I heard every single note I played, in the clean passages, hardrock crunches and highgain leads. So first experience was pretty good. Straight to FOH, and a regular PA monitor in front of me with just my guitar signal. It would be great to have the real time to match the global EQ to what the soundboard needs so as to make the preset more faithfull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For live use, my suggestions would be this:

Two filter blocks after the cab block. One set for high-pass anywhere between 60Hz to 140Hz. The second one set for a 2nd order low-pass anywhere between 6kHz to 10kHz.

One multi-band compressor block after the filter blocks. Important thing is to first set all gain level of the bands to 0dB. Turn up the threshold level on the ones you will not be using. Set it to compress between 70Hz and 250Hz. Use a fast attack and quick release. Threshold is up to you. Let the bass guitar do it's job, but be careful not to totally neuter your guitar in the process.

That's it. From there, let the sound-man earn his pay. You'll already be saving him some work.

Back
Top Bottom