Epiphone Les Paul Classic Honeyburst - AWESOME TONES !

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi Gentz !
A student of mine bought this Epiphone Les Paul Classic Honeyburst.....at first I thought like "hmmm, okay guitar for a starter"...;)
Once he got it and I saw the looks and especially when I plugged it into my Marshall Silver Jubilee......KICKASS Guitar for that money !!!

Here is the video with its tones and hope you'll like it.
Thanks !

Beautiful guitar and nice playing.

I can 100% agree that epiphone is not the same as it was when I was young.

I played 13 different Les Paul style guitars (several Gibson Customs, Epi LP Customs, ESP, ESP II, Shecter solo II, PRS, Fernandes, etc) all in one sitting at my local GC.

I walked away with a $750 Epiphone Les Paul Silverburst Custom Limited Edition. It played the best, felt great in my hands, sounded excellent unplugged. The only thing I did was swap pickups (the probuckers just aren't my taste, but still sounded great). With the Bare Knuckle pickups I put in it sounds and feels better than the gibson customs I played last year.
20220109_144927.jpg

James

Beautiful guitar and nice playing.

I can 100% agree that epiphone is not the same as it was when I was young.

I played 13 different Les Paul style guitars (several Gibson Customs, Epi LP Customs, ESP, ESP II, Shecter solo II, PRS, Fernandes, etc) all in one sitting at my local GC.

I walked away with a $750 Epiphone Les Paul Silverburst Custom Limited Edition. It played the best, felt great in my hands, sounded excellent unplugged. The only thing I did was swap pickups (the probuckers just aren't my taste, but still sounded great). With the Bare Knuckle pickups I put in it sounds and feels better than the gibson customs I played last year.
View attachment 97415

James
Thanks a lot James and I agree fully !! These guitars are sounding great and great too , love that Silverburst man !!!
Yes, pickups are a “weak” spot but BK are definitely a huge upgrade. Which ones ?
I have BK The Mule in my Gibson LP 1993 and that sounds kickass ;)
I would probably also replace the tuning mechanics because I record a lot and found them but unstable …. Luckily these stings aren’t expensive .

Thanks a lot James and I agree fully !! These guitars are sounding great and great too , love that Silverburst man !!!
Yes, pickups are a “weak” spot but BK are definitely a huge upgrade. Which ones ?
I have BK The Mule in my Gibson LP 1993 and that sounds kickass ;)
I would probably also replace the tuning mechanics because I record a lot and found them but unstable …. Luckily these stings aren’t expensive .
I put the Holy Divers into the Silverburst. Love they natural harmonics they produce and how much clarity they have with gain.

I was lucky the silverburst came with Grover USA 18:1 Tuners and use the Luthier's knot and graphite from a pencil with the Tusq nut (also came stock) to help tuning stability. It does really well now that I have it all setup well.

That would be something !! Gibson prices are unbelievable lately :(
Yeah I agree. I got a Les Paul when I was a teen (80s) for like $700 USD. I think I kept it for 6 months before trading a friend for a $1500 Charvell (was the cheaper Jackson back then). I hated that Charvell and the Gibson was too heavy for a touring 17 year old who had no techs, yet.

Still wish I had kept the LP.

I put the Holy Divers into the Silverburst. Love they natural harmonics they produce and how much clarity they have with gain.

I was lucky the silverburst came with Grover USA 18:1 Tuners and use the Luthier's knot and graphite from a pencil with the Tusq nut (also came stock) to help tuning stability. It does really well now that I have it all setup well.
Yeah, those are also very nice pups ! The knot and graphite :) Will keep them in mind man !!

Yeah I agree. I got a Les Paul when I was a teen (80s) for like $700 USD. I think I kept it for 6 months before trading a friend for a $1500 Charvell (was the cheaper Jackson back then). I hated that Charvell and the Gibson was too heavy for a touring 17 year old who had no techs, yet.

Still wish I had kept the LP.
Hahah on that age the LP …. Heavy for sure hahaha…..the 80s were anyhow good for those super strats !! Now you have techs for touring ?

Hahah on that age the LP …. Heavy for sure hahaha…..the 80s were anyhow good for those super strats !! Now you have techs for touring ?
I did from about '87 through '98. Started this little band called Animosity in 84 (3 platinum albums) and was offered a record contract to go solo in 92. I had techs when I was with Animosity and played with the big boys at shows like Monsters of Rock, we opened 10 shows during Clash of the Titans (filled in for Alice in Chains), plus a number of other big tours.

I took the record advance for my fist solo solo album and built a major studio and made money doing that and my solo records and only having to tour every few years for the solo stuff.

Unfortunately studios a had a falling out of fashion around the same time Napster hit the industry hard, so I took the studio gear home and made my albums at home and released through whatever label I was on during those times. Now, you don't need a label and can release to Apple, Spotify, and Amazon with a couple of good services. Now I only record and mix what I want when I want and I enjoy doing my own records without pressure from labels.

This is what I am working with at home:
IMG_20151115_204351.jpg

James

Last edited:
I did from about '87 through '98. Started this little band called Animosity in 84 (3 platinum albums) and was offered a record contract to go solo in 92. I had techs when I was with Animosity and played with the big boys at shows like Monsters of Rock, we opened 10 shows during Clash of the Titans (filled in for Alice in Chains), plus a number of other big tours.

I took the record advance for my fist solo solo album and built a major studio and made money doing that and my solo records and only having to tour every few years for the solo stuff.

Unfortunately studios a had a falling out of fashion around the same time Napster hit the industry hard, so I took the studio gear home and made my albums at home and released through whatever label I was on during those times. Now, you don't need a label and can release to Apple, Spotify, and Amazon with a couple of good services. Now I only record and mix what I want when I want and I enjoy doing my own records without pressure from labels.

This is what I am working with at home:
View attachment 97417

James
Wow James !!! Love that man...so good to see when people have such nice studios to work in and do that what they really love ! Really glad for you man and yes, recording our own stuff at home gives so much energy and happy lucky feelings...touring too !
Your solo stuff is under your name on youtube ?
Thanks again mate , love it !

Wow James !!! Love that man...so good to see when people have such nice studios to work in and do that what they really love ! Really glad for you man and yes, recording our own stuff at home gives so much energy and happy lucky feelings...touring too !
Your solo stuff is under your name on youtube ?
Thanks again mate , love it !
Not on youtube.

This was on my first album in 92:
Listen to Reign by James Marshall on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/aQ8nA

Thanks man, brings me back in the days when I recorded my Instrumental albums ....the huge racks days ;)
Any recent tracks with the Fractals ?
I am in the process of recording my next album with the AX3. I have a song that I can share after I am done with my sessions over the weekend. I was planning to share it anyhow since I have had a lot of questions about the Holy Divers in the Les Paul.

I will put it up here as well once I have get the leads done tomorrow. I re-recorded all the rhythm tracks today using the brand new Holy Diver pickups (finished getting them in the guitar late Wed.)

Yeah I had 2 refrigerator sized racks (main plus backup) from 86 until about 2017 (not counting my time with the Kemper). I kept 1 Bogner Fish, 2 2290s, 1 Marshall JMP-1, 2 Marshall 9200s, a couple of other pieces that were crucial to my tone.

Not that I need them anymore with the AX3, just more like nostalgia and an occasional draw to plug into a couple of 4x12s with all the fixings. LOL

James

Last edited:
I am in the process of recording my next album with the AX3. I have a song that I can share after I am done with my sessions over the weekend. I was planning to share it anyhow since I have had a lot of questions about the Holy Divers in the Les Paul.

I will put it up here as well once I have get the leads done tomorrow. I re-recorded all the rhythm tracks today using the brand new Holy Diver pickups (finished getting them in the guitar late Wed.)

Yeah I had 2 refrigerator sized racks (main plus backup) from 86 until about 2017 (not counting my time with the Kemper). I kept 1 Bogner Fish, 2 2290s, 1 Marshall JMP-1, 2 Marshall 9200s, a couple of other pieces that were crucial to my tone.

Not that I need them anymore with the AX3, just more like nostalgia and an occasional draw to plug into a couple of 4x12s with all the fixings. LOL

James
Looking forward man !
Yeah sometimes I still try those old units from back in the days like the TC2290, PCM80 and others….. Fractal stays….. sound wise it competes with the best ones and especially the Axe Edit makes it a breeze to work with !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom