Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

I love a ton of Styx stuff, especially the Pieces of Eight album. I worship everything about Mr. Roboto haha, and I realize I'm in the minority. :grin: I have a short playlist including Mr. Roboto, as well as NM156, and Screaming and Digital by Queensryche. The other song off the Kilroy Was Here album that I really love is the Tommy Shaw song Just Get Through This Night, which I think he wrote to fight how much he hated the direction DeYoung was going at the time; that's just my theory.

My friend bought this album in 83 at an import record store based on his love of Disillusion. It's very eclectic with many shifts in feel and style. This track was a standout to me. Feels like a Brian May song...

Saw DIO twice with that iconic lineup. Such a great show. Those first two DIO albums
are still some of my faves. So. Good.
👍Loved Dio in Sabbath - never saw Sabbath live until much later after Ozzy rejoined but at the time of Dio in Sabbath my buds and I would repetitively go and see the Black and Blue concert movie (Black Sabbath / Blue Oyster Cult) at a local theatre. I also only discovered the early Dio Albums much later - love those records as they seem to continue much in the same vane as Heaven and Hell / Mob Rules.

I drove to Atlanta with some friends to see that Paradise Theater tour. I really loved Styx up to Mr Roboto. Hated that album.
Also an early Styx fan here - Equinox was one of the albums in my 1st milk carton + bought with paper route money (around 74/75) - remains my #1 Styx Album - that riff in Suite Madam Blue - awesome - dialing it in on Axefx as we speak

Last edited:
Well, this guy doesn't fit into the "80s sound" (okay, maybe Beverly Hills Cop stuff!!!), but he's an icon. That guy is Bob Seger and during the 80s it was Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band. He's so amazing and he has fans that span multiple genres.

He's has multiple iconic songs and this is one of my favs from that era.

Also an early Styx fan here - Equinox was one of the albums in my 1st milk carton + bought with paper route money (around 74/75) - remains my #1 Styx Album - that riff in Suite Madam Blue - awesome - dialing it in on Axefx as we speak.
One of the common denominators in bands that I dig, are multiple singers/songwriters, in a collaborative effort. I'm sure it's a big reason I really love Styx... But the direction Dennis DeYoung took them in, just seemed a different band to me, one that I would never listen to.

One of the common denominators in bands that I dig, are multiple singers/songwriters, in a collaborative effort. I'm sure it's a big reason I really love Styx... But the direction Dennis DeYoung took them in, just seemed a different band to me, one that I would never listen to.
Ok... So relevant to both your comments and this thread, I'm guessing you're a fan of Damn Yankees?

Was a big fan of "the Nuge" in the 70s going to see several Nugent shows in a pickup truck we called (in full Nugent style) "the Gonzomobile" - I loved the first DY album but could not quite accept Ted playing those uppidy PRS geetarz

... could not quite accept Ted playing those uppidy PRS geetarz
To this day, the first image that comes into my brain is of Ted rocking a full hollow body Gibson. Few have the nerve.

iu

Back
Top Bottom