Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Oh, and for Loverboy...Gangs in the Streets. Just watch the music video and watch the (sadly now gone) bassist. He is awesome, and for some reason keeps making creepy eye contact with the singer. It's fantastic.

I saw Tesla open for Buck Cherry for $8.00 when 80s rock was considered passé. I went for Tesla and left before Buck Cherry took the stage. Tesla played all their rock songs like they were a metal band, and it was the greatest thing ever. They played Edison's Medicine, and made the song so much darker and more intense. It's was to me one of the most inspiring shows I've ever seen. I already loved Frank Hannon, but that show just made me realize how powerful of a player he was. You just felt every note. And Tommy Skeoch was somehow the coolest person I've ever seen. I can't explain it, but it was like seeing Sean Penn or something on stage.

Ok, you've got to follow me on this one (and be a bit magnanimous). This song was recorded in 2005 and released in 2015 by a fictional band known as B.E.R. It was discovered and used in Teen Titans Go! where my daughters and I came across it in an episode dedicated to 80s music. I was convinced it must've been some 80s song I'd somehow missed until I delved into it. If I hadn't told you all of that, I defy you to place this in any other decade. Here is 'The Night Begins to Shine' by the nonexistent B.E.R.

BTW-It's had some covers by bands such as Fall Out Boy.

Ok, you've got to follow me on this one (and be a bit magnanimous). This song was recorded in 2005 and released in 2015 by a fictional band known as B.E.R. It was discovered and used in Teen Titans Go! where my daughters and I came across it in an episode dedicated to 80s music. I was convinced it must've been some 80s song I'd somehow missed until I delved into it. If I hadn't told you all of that, I defy you to place this in any other decade. Here is 'The Night Begins to Shine' by the nonexistent B.E.R.

BTW-It's had some covers by bands such as Fall Out Boy.

You are totally right haha! All I can think of now is the incredible song Fashion is Danger by Flight of the Conchords, which I actually listen to often. 🙂

For something modern that absolutely pulls off 80s vibe in the most perfect way, try Night Flight Orchestra. The only problem is that the vocals have no personality or feel, but the songs are fantastic.

Edit: I shouldn't say no personality or feel, but I will say the vocals are the weakest link.

Last edited:
Couple of my favorites from Genesis. This live version of Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea is even better than the studio version, imo. If this is how their live shows were, I really regret never seeing them!
And Turn It On Again, wow, I mean, how do you come up with those chords, and rhythms?

Listened to DEMON in early 80s, first two albums were "devil focused". But the 3rd one went in another direction. The Plague from 83, feels very 2021 :D

Back
Top Bottom