Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Lots of good acts have come out of Canada. Bryan Adams was even good before the Robin Hood soundtrack! :p :fire: :guitar: :smiley:
so true, loads of great Canadian bands in the 80s. I grew up in the prarie provinces and we had cold long winters. If we werent' out playing hockey at the school rink we were jamming in someone's basement on weekends. There's a very strong music culture here.

columbia house records membership that cost like a penny and you got 10-12 tapes.
So many people said they were a scam, or whatever, but the only thing you had to do was send that card back, letting them know whether you wanted the selection of the month, or not. It was easy.
I'd finish my membership, sign up my roommate, get my 2 free albums for doing so, then do it all over again. It's how I got most of my albums back then.
Then, we'd have running joke at our gigs: "We just got a new record deal! Signed with Columbia....pause...House, and got 14 records for a penny!"
It never got old!

I jokingly call it a scam cuz we all got sucked in by the carrot of that initial cache of cassettes and then would forget to follow up on the rest
nosireebub! I worked out the average price per selection including the rest going into the deal - was good but not as good as $100 bucks a year to rent Apple's 75 million songs.

so true, loads of great Canadian bands in the 80s. I grew up in the prarie provinces and we had cold long winters. If we werent' out playing hockey at the school rink we were jamming in someone's basement on weekends. There's a very strong music culture here.
Yes Sir, and I now present to you perhaps the single most underrated/underappreciated Canadian rock band of all time....drum roll please......

April Wine!!!!

These guys have too many great songs to list. It just confounds me how they have totally disappeared, even from today's Classic Rock radio. Here's one that my kids request over, and over, and over, and....

Totally forgot about April Wine. yes of course. And also listening to that my first reaction to that intro riff was how similar to the riff in Ugly Kid Joe's Everything About You. Common chords of course but it just stood out the first few seconds listening to it

I remember buying one of this band's CDs in the early 90s based on the cover artwork only. They became one of my favorite bands back then, and still - saw them a couple of times - they should have been huge - but alas, like so many Canadian acts - not.

nosireebub! I worked out the average price per selection including the rest going into the deal - was good but not as good as $100 bucks a year to rent Apple's 75 million songs.
I think most of us were doing the record club thing when Apple was still in Steve Jobs' garage. I joined a few times over the years. The last time I used my dog's name. He was still getting an assortment of unrelated junk mail for years afterward.

Okay this thread isn't about Canadian bands but I totally forgot about 54-40. I saw them live in early 90s in this old small theater. It was one of my first concerts. Funny tidbit: The guitar player had a Peavey 5150 amp and put 4's over the 1,5. They made some great songs. I love their album from the 90's but I'll keep to the theme of the 80's here.

Last edited:
Yes Sir, and I now present to you perhaps the single most underrated/underappreciated Canadian rock band of all time....drum roll please......

April Wine!!!!

These guys have too many great songs to list. It just confounds me how they have totally disappeared, even from today's Classic Rock radio. Here's one that my kids request over, and over, and over, and....

Yup! - April Wine goes way back to the early 70s - around here, not far from their home town outside Montreal it was a tradition to see them once or twice a year for many years. Here they are at Le Studio just outside Montreal where Rush also recorded so many of their classic songs. Sadly, Le Studio went bust and into disrepair and burned down some years ago (I peeked in the window one day when driving around there - not much to see by that point).

Sorry - we're turning this thread into CanadaRockFest

Last edited:
The Replacements, I'll Be You!

Oh crap, I did it again, another Canadian rock band with an epic 80s song!

EDIT: As pointed out below by @sskkmm, these guys were actually from Minnesoooohda! Still, pretty close to the border (they're probably hockey fans and say 'sorry' alot!).

Last edited:
Ive been on a big Hair Nation kick on SiriusXM for awhile now, not that I dont dig newer stuff, I guess I am just reliving my 80's youth lol. ive even got a hair metal playlist on my iPhone that ive been jamming at work.

And some of my favorites

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom