Epic 70’s songs and bands

Grey Seal - my #1 EJ song.
I have so many, but it's definitely high on my list too. I remember recording (as in, making a cassette tape copy of it) just that song as a kid, I liked it so much.
Paul Gibert does a cover of it, so I tried it. It's NOT easy at all on guitar, since it's arpeggios in which notes are on same frets of adjacent strings, so you have to do that "finger-roll" technique to give the notes separation.

HELL yeah!! I was a kid in the 70's, growing my 45 collection (which I still have!) One of THE most epic songs ever...

He has a live version from The Midnight Special, but even though this is only the music, I think his guitar solo is better in the one we knew from Frampton Comes Alive.

My parents had that album and I couldn't figure out if Peter was a man or a woman when I first saw it.
Looked way too much like Farah Fawcett. ;)

Last edited:
OK, Lou Reed (both Transformer and Rock 'n Roll Animal albums are killer). Here is one of my favorite bits from those works:

Have we really gotten this far with out any David Bowie? OK, Life On Mars from the Hunky Dory album:

Mott The Hoople and Ian Hunter have not made an appearance in this thread, so I hereby nominate "Who Do You Love" from Ian's first solo record (with Mick Ronson on guitar and so much more):

There was this Cat named Stevens who put out some lyrics as epic as anything Bob Dylan ever wrote, but this guy could sing like an angel! Here is "Where Do The Children Play" with a video he just released last year I believe:

There was a Rastafarian who projected some sound waves and heavy words at us in that decade! His name was Bob Marley:

The Grateful Dead covered some ground in that decade as well! Both musically and physically! Here's a quick 3 hour show if you want to get a feel for these cats:

King Crimson can not be denied a spot on this list either, my fav album is "Larks Tongues in Aspic" (I had too look up the word aspic when I was first introduced to the album), and I think the best song on that album is "Easy Money":

Of course, one could go on and on, but that is the kind of stuff my mind gravitated towards, both then and now! But Zappa was always first, he is my musical GOD!!!!

This was always a special song by Cat for me, A friend I always had a huge crush on through high school turned me onto it, she got married and we lost touch but every time I hear this song it’s a time capsule for me as a lot of songs usually are

Was there ever a better time than the 70’s for singer songwriters
Harry Chapin

Jim Croce

Back
Top Bottom