Wish Envelope follower improvements

+ 1

It would be killer to have all Inputs available as Envelope sources, and also to have all of these available simultaneously.

+1

Currently the ADSRs can only listen to Inputs 1-2 and Pitch Follower to Inputs 1-4. I could see allowing all triggered controllers (including ADSR) to listen to 1-4.

So I'm not understanding:
choose the input of any block on the grid?

If I understand correctly, this sounds like you want to "insert" a listener anywhere in the grid, which sounds awesome but wouldn't allow all blocks in the grid before that spot to use the envelope -- or there would be logical a loop/feedback.

Can you clarify this with an example or two?

Last edited:
+1

Currently the ADSRs can only listen to Inputs 1-2 and Pitch Follower to Inputs 1-4. I could see allowing all triggered controllers (including ADSR) to listen to 1-4.

So I'm not understanding:

If I understand correctly, this sounds like you want to "insert" a listener anywhere in the grid,

Exactly. Selectable from the envelope follower control page, choosing the input of any block on the grid to listen.

which sounds awesome but wouldn't allow all blocks in the grid before that spot to use the envelope -- or there would be logical a loop/feedback.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on whether the thing being twiddled by the envelope follower affects volume. Also, sometimes a little chaos is fun.... 😉

Can you clarify this with an example or two?

Where to start? Perhaps one might want to have delay input level attached to post-amp/cab dynamics, to add or remove delay based on the dynamics of the signal there (instead of the dry guitar level), since, especially in dirty amps, the dynamics change non-linearly as the guitar signal level changes....

A trick to allow you to listen to a different location on the grid is to set the follower to listen at INPUT 2, then connect a patch cable from OUT 3 to IN 2 and turn up the Out 3 knob.
That'd work for my FM9, but I use Input 2 on the FX3 with SPDIF in from the FM9....

A trick to allow you to listen to a different location on the grid is to set the follower to listen at INPUT 2, then connect a patch cable from OUT 3 to IN 2 and turn up the Out 3 knob.
That'd work for my FM9, but I use Input 2 on the FX3 with SPDIF in from the FM9....

Along this vein, maybe adding a four "controller listener/source" blocks could make it more flexible and not too out-of-hand in terms of complexity.

Something like a "Controller Input 1-4" (INC 1-4) block. Stick one of these in the grid and wire it up wherever you want it to grab a signal from (would auto-sum the wired input). Then configure ADSR 1/2 / Envelope / Pitch to whichever source: Input 1-4 or Ctrl Input 1- 4. [INC blocks probably wouldn't have channels as they would just be "listener hooks" and have no output.]

Don't know if this could work...

Last edited:
Along this vein, maybe adding a four "controller listener/source" blocks could make it more flexible and not too out-of-hand in terms of complexity.

Something like a "Controller Input 1-4" (INC 1-4) block. Stick one of these in the grid and wire it up wherever you want it to grab a signal from (would auto-sum the wired input). Then configure ADSR 1/2 / Envelope / Pitch to whichever source: Input 1-4 or Ctrl Input 1- 4. [INC blocks probably wouldn't have channels as they would just be "listener hooks" and have no output.]

Don't know if this could work...

Adding blocks is the most unlikely scenario, I think. I suggested adding the Output blocks as Env Input sources in another conversation about this subject a few years ago.

+1 I love using the envelope follower to do lots of cool things to make stuff respond more dynamically.

Could we get a selector to choose the input of any block on the grid?

That would be nice. I have a wish to use the USB or the Looper Output as envelope source, otherwise it doesn't work when reamping or tweaking presets with the looper.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-as-sources-for-the-envelope-follower.155512/

Cliff said that it was trivial to add the USB as source, but it is still pending

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-re-amping-or-with-looper.155099/post-1845649

That would be nice. I have a wish to use the USB … as envelope source … otherwise it doesn't work when reamping
I ran into that also (same with the pitch block detection) but you can route your audio out output 5/6 to send it back to the Input 1 block. You just have to change the Input 1 source to “Digital” in I/O Setup.

Last edited:
I can see it. but my live rig uses input 2 for a different stage instrument.

Back
Top Bottom