Enjoying my new Gator Retro Rack

Rear is open, there's no lid. Just like an amp head. So it's not the best case for heavy duty.

Still working on the rear so it's a bit of a mess, but here's picture from the side.

The case is slightly deeper than the SBK Shallow rack. This enables me to fit in a power strip (for 4 plugs + 2x USB), without obstructing access to the ports. Also, my large RJM power supply fits in here.

Don't want to go any larger than 3U, so the Seymour Duncan PS-170 goes on top.

IMG_0399.jpeg

Yeah, watched your vid. Clear and concise, I liked it.

I love the looks of this case and its handles. There's no rear protection, so it's no good for heavy duty portability.

Thanks! Yep, it's not for throwing around in a truck but if you're on carry duty it's fine IMO. I like the look, handles are great, and the tiltback is cool too.

My wife likes the Seafoam Green version (as do I), so that’s probably the way I’ll go. I gig extremely rarely and when I do, I haul gear in my comfy Subaru Outback. So the open back isn’t a big deal, but is that front panel thick enough to offer any protection?

Is that front panel thick enough to offer any protection?

Yes - it's not just fabric, the fabric is over a thin (1/4 inch / 6mm) piece of wood so it would protect against a typical bump situation. But it's not going to offer the level of protection that a standard enclosed rack case would.

woke up having zero intention on ever buying a rack case for my new (havent even taken it out of the box) 3 i am replacing my old 2 with but now im 170 bucks poorer. thanks

That looks really nice. It is the perfect size for the AxeFX III, and I love the fact that it looks like an old Bassman head.

Considering getting one of these in seafoam hehe.

My local gator dealer only lists the 4U on their site though (I have a 4U SKB at the moment).

Sorry to wake up a dead post but how did you get your Axe to sit flush with the front of the case? I have an Axe Fx II XL+ and when I screw it into my new retrorack case it goes in way too deep like about 2+ inches too far and hangs out the back of the case also. Did you buy longer screws and offsets? or move the internal mounting brackets further forward?

The III is more shallow, doesn’t hang out at the rear. I like that the unit is recessed at the front, less damage risk if it falls.

Back
Top Bottom