Enhancer for FOH width?

Our soundman has been delaying one of the L/R channels via the mixing board for FOH to widen the guitar. I would rather do this in the Fractal with the enhancer block. My plan was to add Output 2 with the enhancer right in front of it. Is this the best place in the chain to do this to achieve the same effect as from the mixing board? Also which settings should I use? Could use some advice.
Thanks

If you have a good sound man I’d stick with letting him do it unless you only want it for certain sounds. Also you would need to be running stereo output to do it right in the box. I believe most people put it near the end of the chain, but maybe before a reverb block if you use one

I am running a stereo output. One problem when the soundman does it, is we run stereo in-ear mixes. If he does that we cant link the L/R channels, so that's a small nuisance. We alternate between 3 soundmen as well, so that becomes an issue. Just thought it could be more controllable if I did it with the Fractal. I could set the enhancer block as a global block so I can adjust it on the fly if need be.

I have a patches with the enhancer before and some after the reverb block. I haven't noticed a big difference between them...albeit I haven't critically listened to both back to back. Hopefully, your soundman will "hear" you when you tell him that you've taken care of the widening and not to do it on his end. The enhancer REALLY makes a huge difference in IEMs...it really makes the guitar pop.

I use the enhancer block at the very end of my chain because I run stereo, either with two amps and stereo wet effects, or one amp and stereo wet effects. Makes a huge difference when playing with IEMs over standard stereo or mono. The modern enhancer model is apparently mono compatible so that is a benefit. But when I'm recording I disable the enhancer block just to prevent any summing issues, and I'm usually either hard panned double tracked parts or two different parts anyway.

One thing I've done for more distinct stereo image is panning two different IRs left and right, usually using a brighter and darker IR combination.

Back
Top Bottom