Enhancer Block and stereo Vs Mono

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I plan on setting my Output to Stereo and running L and R to my IEM and then just the Left to FOH. however, I'm using an enhancer block and from what I've read, you shouldn't use the enhance block if you're not feeding both left and right channels to FOH since it can cause phase issues.

Right now I can get away with using only OUTS 1 and 2 since Out 1 has both 1/4" and XLR and then I use out 2 for my cabinet. but will the enhancer block cause too much of an issue if I'm running it in the same chain to FOH mono and Stereo IEM? Would the best option be to just run 3 separate outputs?

Out 1 IEM, Stereo ( I have to use 1/4" to my IEM board thats why I'm using out 1 for IEM)
OUT2 FOH, Mono
Out 3 Cabinet Mono

I plan on setting my Output to Stereo and running L and R to my IEM and then just the Left to FOH. however, I'm using an enhancer block and from what I've read, you shouldn't use the enhance block if you're not feeding both left and right channels to FOH since it can cause phase issues.

Right now I can get away with using only OUTS 1 and 2 since Out 1 has both 1/4" and XLR and then I use out 2 for my cabinet. but will the enhancer block cause too much of an issue if I'm running it in the same chain to FOH mono and Stereo IEM? Would the best option be to just run 3 separate outputs?

Out 1 IEM, Stereo ( I have to use 1/4" to my IEM board thats why I'm using out 1 for IEM)
OUT2 FOH, Mono
Out 3 Cabinet Mono
You shouldn’t use the enhancer if you ARE sending both left and right and not panning. That can create phase cancelling.

If you keep the Output set to stereo and send only one side to FOH, there will be no issue. Just don’t Sum L+R or any other type of mono summing with both left and right.

If I'm running Left mono to FOH and my cab with two separate outputs, No enhancer block, would you set the outputs as sum left and right or Copy left to right?

heres my preset incase you want to se what I'm trying to do.

Attachments

• C++ Rig_20190120_142905.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Copy Left to Right is the exact same thing as setting it to Stereo and only using the Left side. exactly the same.

I understand what you are saying but I am using some stereo effects like multi delay that may not sound right if I only send one side. shouldn't I at least sum left and right for the outputs going mono to the FOH or my cab? the only thing I'm monitoring in stereo is my IEM

may not sound right if I only send one side.
set your output to stereo. find a single powered speaker. plug only one side into it. play.

does it sound ok? it depends on what you setup.

if a chorus effect is panning, then it's going to sound fine - probably exactly like a mono setup.

if a delay is hard panned right only and you don't plug in the right side, then yes, you won't hear the delay at all.

if you use a sum approach, don't use the Enhancer.

i do this all the time. IEMs and stage speakers in stereo usually, then Mono to FOH. but everything is set to Stereo. i simply send one side to FOH and it sounds great. i do have my cab block in Stereo with 2 different cabs on each side. but the FOH only gets one and it sounds good.

you have to determine what you're panning, and if you need it to be sent to FOH. the best way is to listen to exactly what it sounds like - plug 1 side into one speaker and play.

You shouldn’t use the enhancer if you ARE sending both left and right and not panning. That can create phase cancelling.

If you keep the Output set to stereo and send only one side to FOH, there will be no issue. Just don’t Sum L+R or any other type of mono summing with both left and right.
Sorry but this is incorrect, it depends on the type of enhancer you're using. In case it's the classic enhancer it works like you say (even though one side is delayed).

If you use modern or stereoizer instead it will be the opposite, they're designed so that when summed to mono the signal is identical to having it bypassed while using only one side will result in a comb filtered sound.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx...voiding_phase_cancellation_and_comb_filtering

really? 1 side of a stereo signal can be comb filtered on it's own? but when listening to both panned, it isn't comb filtered?
That's how it works, each side gets comb filtered but the two filters are complementary so that when summed you'll get a flat frequency response again. Check the wiki link above

PS on this:
but when listening to both panned, it isn't comb filtered?
That's what creates the stereo effect, you hear certain frequencies coming only from one side or the other but you don't perceive it as comb filtered cuz your brain "sums" the signals coming from your two ears

Last edited:
Another way to look at this:

Comb filtering is done by summing a signal to a delayed copy, this creates peaks and notches at certain points in the spectrum cuz some frequencies will be in phase with the dry signal and will sum up, other frequencies will be out of phase and will cancel out, all this in a cyclical fashion.

If you invert the phase of the delayed signal (keeping the same delay time) those peaks and notches will exchange their position creating a complementary comb filter.

I think the modern enhancer does this:
Left: dry + delayed signal
Right: dry + delayed signal with reversed phase

When you then sum left and right the delayed signals will completely cancel each other out and all that remains is the dry signal.

Last edited:
I’m not disagreeing at all, but it’s just strange to me that if I send discreet left and right signals to IEMs and hear both at once, it should sound correct, but if I suddenly mute one side, I’ll hear phase cancellation in that side.

I’ve just never experienced that, so I’ll have to try it!

So, if I'm recording a stereo track with enhancer, which I never set about 60 wide, I should keep everything panned center? I notice when I do the playback and mute one side the side I hear sounds really weird and phasy.

If I want to record left and right guitars like they did in the 80s, and they panned each guitar hard l and r, can I still make a preset with stero chorus, etc, pan it hard and not have phase issues? I know I don't want to use enhancer when doing that.

So, if I'm recording a stereo track with enhancer, which I never set about 60 wide, I should keep everything panned center? I notice when I do the playback and mute one side the side I hear sounds really weird and phasy.

When you mute one side, it will sound, well, comb filtered :). Which means it will generally sound thin. Yes, if you're using the enhancer, you'll generally want the stereo track you record be panned center so you can let the enhancer effect provide the stereo imaging.

Back
Top Bottom