Enhance Block for Recording

Axeman75

Any of you guys using the Enhance block for recording? This effect really makes the solos come alive. I know Cliff has stated to use judiciously.

Thanks.

Any of you guys using the Enhance block for recording? This effect really makes the solos come alive. I know Cliff has stated to use judiciously.

Thanks.
I never use the enhancer block for recording solos. If I want them wider sounding, I'll apply a little bit of chorus and some delay.

I use it. In a steve vai patch i made for For the love of God, i used the enhancer block at the end of the chain to fatten up the tone.

Never, I really dislike the issues it causes. I do use widening on solos and leads though, but I use JST SideWidener. It doesn't alter the tone, it doesn't smear the image, and most importantly it keeps things mono compatible no matter how wide you go.
The enhancer in modern mode is mono compatible i think.

The enhancer in modern mode is mono compatible i think.

Yes, the AxeFX enhancer modern mode is essentially the same thing as JST SideWidener. A comb filter that puts the bands left and right. It adds some stereo imaging to a mono signal and collapses to mono without artifacts.

It is mono-compatible in modern mode, yes, but it is not the same as the JST. After doing tests, both my ears and my meters show that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they sound the same. I meant they use the same technique to achieve stereo imaging. They have different parameters however, so, yes, you can get them to sound different from each other.

I've never had the courage to ask this question but I can't resist anymore. What are the general guidelines on when you collapse to mono for a track in a mix vs. leave it in Stereo. I'm an amateur, mixing only for my own stuff and I always end up feeling like stereo sounds better, even when I am hard panning a guitar to one side. I don't really know what I lost when doing that but it still seems to sound better to me. I know you can go overboard and mono seems to focus the track more. Love to know more about this.

Back
Top Bottom