Wish ENGL Fireball

I have never owned an ENGL IRL, but the models in the Axe are fun as hell! Personal love the Energyball/Powerball for when I’m feeling power metally. More ENGL would always be cool.

I have never owned an ENGL IRL, but the models in the Axe are fun as hell! Personal love the Energyball/Powerball for when I’m feeling power metally. More ENGL would always be cool.

That's exactly why I like em. They have that European "Gus G" kinda sound that you just can't get anywhere else. I'm a big fan of the first couple Dream Evil records and those are all ENGL amps if I remember correctly. I got to try a Fireball once and I loved that sound.

i have been trying to coax a symphony x -esque metal sound out of the powerball for some time with no success. tried many IRs and settings. if you got a tone like that do you have any tips?
i cant believe the fractal model of the powerball is a bad one given the work and care that goes into making them from FAS and i have played real powerballs and their tone was always good through Engl and Marshall cabs but for some reason i've had no luck in the axe fx...

i have been trying to coax a symphony x -esque metal sound out of the powerball for some time with no success. tried many IRs and settings. if you got a tone like that do you have any tips?
i cant believe the fractal model of the powerball is a bad one given the work and care that goes into making them from FAS and i have played real powerballs and their tone was always good through Engl and Marshall cabs but for some reason i've had no luck in the axe fx...
Yep this is what I said in the beta 4 topic. The powerball 😔.
Also symphonic x tone kick ass 👍🏻

Totally into it! I love the ENGL Blackmore, Invaders, Fireball and Powerball.
The Powerball is not really great in the AX3.
My Favourite Engls are the Savage
Blackmore and Artist
Not sure what amp got modelled but the early powerball the silver one , that was the amp that had a bad rap for not cutting through a mix
The Powerball 2 is much more like a 4 channel Fireball and it’s great
My buddy has the Synergy module powerball based on the 2 and it’s great on the drive channel

The Blackmore is just a scaled down Savage lead channel
W standard EQ and not the lo mid
Hi mid controls and it had 5881tubes vs 6550

The Artist is the Blackmore w a few eq tweaks to make it a bit more British/ Marshally and it has
El34s

The Fireball seems like a versatile amp that can cover quite an array of genres. I definitely think, based on what I've heard, that its' high gain is where it shines, but it surprisingly does more "classic" gain tones pretty well also. I do think that other amps that we currently have cover that "traditional" area better, but ENGL has a signature high gain footprint that would be cool to have updated I think.
Here is a video I found that showcases that versatility:

Maxon boost model. On my end EQ on powerball always goes to like 5-6 on the gain, 6-7 on the bass, 3-4 on the mids. Treble 5-6. Presence 5-7. Right cabinet IR for the sound. Always sounds dead on to me once you use the right IR. I have used 4x12 ENGL IR’s before it sounded pretty bang on.

Back
Top Bottom