Engl Fireball + Suhr Reactive Load vs Overloud TH-U [DIs inside]

Hey everyone

I've used plugins and amp sims for years, but a while ago I got myself an Engl Fireball E625, a Suhr Reactive Load, and a Rupert Neve RNDI DI Box.

I wanted to compare the tone coming out of the real Engl Fireball and Suhr Reactive Load to a high quality plugin equivalent. I believe Overloud TH-U has an Engl Fireball simulation called the 'Burnsphere Lead' model, so I used this amp sim as the basis of my comparison.

I quad tracked some metal rhythm guitars. I captured the DI using the DI Box and ran the THRU from the DI to the Input of the Engl Fireball. In this way, I was able to capture both a 'dry' DI signal, and a 'wet' signal from the Engl Fireball + Suhr Reactive Load at the same time.

For the 'dry' DI guitars, I used the Overloud TH-U plugin. I used only the Burnsphere Lead amp model, no cab simulation. Now, the 'wet' guitars of course already featured the amp sound coming directly from the Engl Fireball + Suhr Reactive Load.

Finally, to ensure a fair comparison, I applied the same IR loader, with the same impulse response and settings, to both groups of tracks.

Please find my results below

Please find the DIs of both the 'dry' and 'wet' guitar signal below

What do you think? I think the real amp has some 'weight' that the plugin doesn't quite capture, but I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference in a full mix. Feel free to check out the DIs and see how it works with your own presets.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Super Crunchy Studios

Back
Top Bottom